freecycle

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
AngeB
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: freecycle

I think I need to reflect on this a bit, as my wanted post wasn't approved - I think it was because I asked for demijon, bottle brush AND a garden fork in one post. But then someone elses for 'winemaking equipment' was approved. I would have thought mine was ok because I was more specific about what I needed - I have all the other stuff. But then I didn't think I was being particularly greedy :dontknow:
I changed my signature because it was rubbish; I like what you said

JessieMac
Tom Good
Tom Good

That is our local group Dumfries and Galloway is very wide and quite shallow over 100miles wide.

Keaniebean
A selfsufficientish Regular

I gave up on Freecycle some time over a year ago. At first it was really cool and people were very polite and seemed genuine, but then the wanteds outdid the offers and it was all so greedy, so I started to take our stuff back to the charity shops, but then they got greedy too and you would see your items on sale for more than you paid for them in the first place ( and most of it had 'done' two kids).

In desperation, because I flatly refuse to let anyone greedy or rude have anything of mine I sent my husband to the clothes bank yesterday with over twenty bags of clothes which came out of a loft sort out. :angryfire: :angryfire:

I would so much rather give them to someone who really needs it but when people can't even say please or thank you I'm just going to have to dig my heels in.
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

AngeB
Tom Good
Tom Good

Are people really that rude Keaniebean?

I used to think that the council picked up furniture for recycling it until I phoned them to pick up a sofa, and they told me it just goes to landfill. And I had to pay them for it. Personally speaking, if someone was going to offer to pick it up AND use it for whatever purpose then I'd be rather pleased regardless. Of course I'd never heard of freecycle then

There are plenty of offers where people demand that you must collect today or they will take it to the tip, which to me suggests that people think that people who cannot afford to buy themselves a second hand dining table can suddenly lay their hand on a van big enough to carry it in within 2 hours notice. Plus, do they really give a crap about recycling their item if they're imposing such a strict time schedule?

I've noticed the price of charity shop clothes increasing the last few years, maybe because the rent increases? I don't know, but I used to be alot more extravagant in them than I am now (I love that I think shopping in charity shops is extravagant)

Unfortunately, there are alot of rude people around, but there are lots of polite people too. I accidentally called someone by the wrong name as I'd been also talking to someone of a similar name on freecycle and although I was apologetic I got a right dressing down. As far as I was concerned I'd just made an honest mistake, and yet, he would probably think I was really rude.

I don't think it's rude or greedy to ask if anyone has anything spare. I think it's humble. I cannot afford x but would really like x and if anyone has x blocking up their garage space I'd very much like to take it. So if 20 other people have done the same thing that day then why should the other people hold back, it sounds more like people in the area were more needy than affluent, rather than greedy and selfish. That being said, when me and my other half did a carboot sale to raise money for our wedding someone was haggling heavily for our stuff and then selling it for more on his stall!!!

crowsashes

i guess it does depend on your definition of need and greed - to me someone asking for a 42 inch tv is more greed than need as surely if you were without a 15 inch portable would suffice until you could afford or acquire something better?

the same with clothes. if you were in need as long as it fit and was fit for purpose you wouldn't care. i hate the specific requests for things like - certain mobiles ( BB or the other popular brand) surely - mobile phone in working order would do?

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have to agree with a lot of the last 2 comments, but there is another reason why people may use the wanted section. To be honest, I am very surprised at some of the requests I have seen mentioned here, so it looks like our Freegle may be less extreme. Anyway, as I was saying there is another reason for a wanted and not related with the "I can't afford it". Let us say the washing machine packs up. You need to get a new one and will do because you can afford it and you really need your washing machine. BUT, before running to the shops, you suddenly think, what about trying Freecycle just in case. I take the washing machine example as I have seen this quite a few times on our local Freegle. The fact is there are some still in working condition offered every week. But anyway, trying to get something second hand, instead of something new goes very much in the recycling idea of Freecycle. Another good place to look for things is Gumtree, not free this time, but still cheaper (most of the time) than the new whatever in the shops.
But yes, trying to get the latest whatever on Freecycle is just not quite right. It feels like these people think that freecycle is just about getting something (anything) for free which is not what it is about in the 1st place. And for the ones wanting something collected so quickly and saying it will go to the tip if you don't collect NOW, they also do not seam to do this for the right reason, which is avoiding something to go to the tip...
I am pleased to say that because of Freecycle I have not visited the tip for a few years and I have kept things for quite a while and re-listed them, but they finally found some new home. :iconbiggrin:

Susie

AngeB wrote: There are plenty of offers where people demand that you must collect today or they will take it to the tip, which to me suggests that people think that people who cannot afford to buy themselves a second hand dining table can suddenly lay their hand on a van big enough to carry it in within 2 hours notice. Plus, do they really give a crap about recycling their item if they're imposing such a strict time schedule?
I wonder if they might have had problems before with people saying they'd pick something up and then not turning up, so they're trying to frighten people into following through (they might just be rude though!).
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Keaniebean

In response to your question AngeB, my experience was that people were unfortunately that rude.

I got rid of lots of things on Freecycle, in fact a whole house worth of things, clothes, books, DVD's, CD's, toys furniture and even electronics like TV's and I would frequently just get messages like 'I want it all' or 'give it to me'. In my opinion they only wanted 'it all' so they could sell it on. There were only a handful of pleases and thank you's. People were frequently late, or just never bothered to show up and did't let you know they were not going to turn up. So my experience of giving things was bad for a start.

Also the wanted's were more like a christmas wish list. It was things like plasma screens, play stations, laptops, designer perfumes, designer labelled clothing, scrap metal (for selling on). It was all for greed rather than things that people were desperate for. We once offered an almost new cooker, and when I offered it to someone they then wrote back because they had decided it wasn't good enough!Despite the fact it was only a few months old.

Maybe it's a London thing, I don't know, but I find there are very few people who are polite round here, the best you can expect from the majority it avoidance of eye contact. I hate it but I'm stuck here. I do find the odd person is polite and nice but it's the exception rather than the rule, and it is such a shame as manners really do cost nothing.

I have no doubt that other peoples experiences were far better than mine, I certainly hope they were
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

welshmum
Tom Good
Tom Good

I have been on freecycle for about 6 months. I have happily given away baby clothes, maternity clothes, a bar stool, smaller things. But I had a really bad experience that has tainted my view slightly. I used to make and sell jewellery ad some stock left over taht I could not be bothered to eb#y. So I listed. The lady who collected my maternity clothes asked for the boxes. These were just under a £5 each brand new to buy (i got imported so paid less) and I gave her a dozen. They were the large necklace full display type. Satin lined padded trays. I showed her them first and asked if they were suitable and if she didnt need them that siz I would relist as others had asked. She took them. When I went to buy chips I found the box of boxes dumped outside the only shop in our village. It had my name and address on them too.

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

Keaniebean and Welshmum, I am just so sorry for your dreadful experiences.
People are sick!! I just cannot believe they have to behave like that!!! I am not surprised you have been put off giving away anything through freecycle, Keaniebean. :(
It is amazing that something so beautiful and so simple; organizing giving away things so they don't end up in landfill, gets ruined by the same old crap coming from humans!!! What chances have we got of a better future when you see and read that? :( :(

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

FreeCycle is great but I do wish people would think a bit more. I can sympathise with a lot of the threads so far.

I reply to every respondent when I offer something, telling them where they are in the queue. I also reply to every respondent telling them when it's gone.

It takes no time at all to acknowledge people - but the number of times I've enquired about something on offer and had no reply (not even a general post saying it's gone appearing on FreeCycle!) is astounding. Are really people so offhand? Or have I missed something?
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

Eigon
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Welshmum, I hope you went on the list and publicly asked her why she'd thrown the jewellery boxes away!
Round here in the Welsh Borders it seems to work very well. We have Freecycle on the English side and Freegle on the Welsh side (who split off after arguements with the American organisers, and now offer kittens and cockerels as well as the usual goods). Nobody really asks for unreasonable stuff, and several charities get helped out, as well as people who are moving and have no furniture at all.
"The best way to get real enjoyment out of the garden isto put on a wide straw hat, hold a little trowel in one hand and a cool drink in the other, and tell the man where to dig."
Charles Barr

welshmum
Tom Good
Tom Good

i sent an email to the moderators which went unanswered. so i now post my on a diferent group instead of my local. which has gone terrible since the moderators changed. There is now 10/12 wanted for every 1 offered post. The swansea group is much better. I put up a wanted for wine bottles (empty) and had quite a few replies. But even there we have quite a few people that dont say thanks or put up taken posts.

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

I agree with you all.i think some people have a cheek to ask for tv's and laptops etc.We had a post for a woodburner wanted once and I was so cross as we saved for ages to get ours.These people should get off their backsides and earn it.And I agree when I offer stuff the replies are so rude that I too only look at the polite replies when considering who to give the item too.But very sad that all this stuff is given away to these people and no doubt replaced with the latest tv or laptop what a throwaway sosiety we live in....
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!

AngeB
Tom Good
Tom Good

That's really sad, especially Welshmum's experience. I haven't given away much on freecycle but I hope that when I do, I encounter the nice ones