New cat questions

Due to popular demand, here is the section to discuss everything to do with our pets. Please remember though to post any queries regarding pet livestock in the livestock section as you are more likely to get the right response there!
Shirleymouse
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.5
longitude: -1.9

Re: New cat questions

Green Aura wrote:When are you getting Tweety pie? :lol:
That's exactly what my dad said!
Still working on the photos, I think I need a lead that attaches my phone to the computer. It might be quicker to take some new pics on the camera than to start looking for the lead!

I think Sylvester's previous owner was a Friends fan - it came on tv yesterday and he sat by the TV engrossed so I've just put it on for him again and he's sitting watching it - bless! :icon_smile:

He had been at the rescue centre since November and at a different rescue centre before that, I think his owner had died. I can't understand how nobody could have wanted him before now. I could have brought home all of the cats with me! Think I might be becoming one of those crazy cat ladies...

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Shirleymouse wrote:Think I might be becoming one of those crazy cat ladies...
Welcome to the club! :lol:

A lot of people just don't want adult cats - I don't know if it's the cute kitten thing or if they wonder why the cat's been put there - bad behaviour or aggression for example. But even fairly badly behaved cats soon settle down in a safe, loving home. Well my daughters have done here anyway :roll: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I don't understand the desire for the sweet little kittens, they need litter trained, they rip things to shreds, climb your curtains etc etc! Our cat was from a rescue centre,she was a grumpy little thing (3yr old) but who wouldn't be being stuck in a rescue centre! I fell for the sob story tbh but managed to stop myself at one! We actually were chosing between Nala and a tom called Sylvester too!

MuddyWitch
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

*puts tin hat on*

As a ...ahem...dog person....please can I add my joy at your new arrival's happiness? (Because they make me ill, I can't have a cat, but that's my problem, not the pussies' fault!)

The cute juvenile thing applies to rescue dogs too :(

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Shirleymouse
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'd really like a dog too but normally we're both at work during the day and I don't think it would be fair. It is the second thing I plan to do when I retire (the first is to go on holiday during the first week in September when I'm normally just going back to work!) Only about 35 years to wait...

little blue duck
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Shirleymouse wrote: go on holiday during the first week in September when I'm normally just going back to work!) Only about 35 years to wait...
?teacher?!
you've a little less time to wait than me .... but I think its a great idea! :icon_smile:

Shirleymouse
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Yes I am a teacher, pleased you like my retirement plan! I'm off poorly sick at the moment and actually wishing I could go back - daytime TV is appalling! Unfortunately though I have tonsilitis and can't speak so I'm not much use to anbody at work! The cat has cheered me up a bit.

Another cat question though... the rescue centre said he would eat a pouch of food for breakfast, one for dinner and some supper as well as biscuits throughout the day. I thought this seemed rather a lot for a house cat that sleeps for 20 hours a day! He has been hungry every morning but not yet finished a full pouch of "breakfast". In the evenings we have given him half a pouch when we get home from work (around 5) and the rest before we go to bed. He is always excited to be fed and we're feeding him what he's used to but he never finishes any. He usually eats about 3 quarters of what we give him. He barely touches the biscuits. My husband says this is quite normal for picky cats but I'm worried he might not be eating enough. Any thoughts please?

Otherwise, he's doing very well and we're enjoying watching him discover new things around the house :cat:

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Our cat eats nowhere near the amount listed on the packets! She gets half a meat in the evening and has biscuits available all the time. Since we've had her her weight has been stable at a perfect 4kg. We'd just be wasting cat food if we tried to give her the amount they suggest. Although I guess like people they are all different. I'd maybe cut down a little, maybe half a pouch for breakfast and half for dinner. Glad you are enjoying having a new housemate!!!

bonniethomas06

We are cat sitting two 8 year old cats at the moment, they each eat 1 sachet a day - 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening, with some biscuits during the day.

I have always fed my cats in the past, a tin a day each (I hate sachets, so wasteful and you can't recycle them) but these don't seem to be hungry or pester for food at all.

Suppose it depends on the cat. 1/2 a sachet must be the equivalent to one mouse in the morning?
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Millymollymandy

My big cat is the total opposite - he has been on a strict diet for years and only eats a fraction of what the packets say a cat of his weight should eat (even the ones on diets) yet he is still huge - trouble is he is constantly hungry and squeals all the time for food. It's a pain but what can you do - he would eat himself to death if we put down biccies all the time. :(
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/