Hurricane stove

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hurricane stove

Anyone got any experience of home made hurricane stoves especially for cooking?

dave45

Re: Hurricane stove

no, but I have a "storm kettle" - I rate it as useless.

I also have a "woodgas stove" and that is ace, but requires a battery. Easy to start, cooks well, but is effectively a one-shot "batch" of fuel and when that burns out you start again. You could plunder the idea and try and make your own - plenty of info on the net.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

dave45 wrote:no, but I have a "storm kettle" - I rate it as useless.
I have one of those too - I thought it was just me being inept :wink:
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

dave45

Hi Zech - see http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4308.0

I agree with the comment about the ash from the kettle...

The woodgas stove also beat a disposable BBQ last time we went camping. :icon_smile:

grahamhobbs

Zech wrote:
dave45 wrote:no, but I have a "storm kettle" - I rate it as useless.
I have one of those too - I thought it was just me being inept :wink:
Absolutely, I've had the same experience. The woodgas stove seems a neat thing for picnics at the allotment. But what I was thinking of was a bigger thing, a proper cooker, based on similar principles built of masonary (like the ceramic stoves they have in Austria and places to heat their houses). Found quite a bit of info on the net, but was looking for someone with pracrical experience before I start building one.

oldjerry

Not built a stove Graham but have built a couple of outdoor pizza ovens,Number one prob,getting a good door-fit. Suggestion thats occurred to me since,buy a second-hand safe,cheap 30-40 quid,then take off the door and frame together with a cutting torch,and build the oven bit round that.If you aint got any of that a blacksmith should be able to help,and they could cut you up the sheet steel for a hot plate.

grahamhobbs

Oldjerry, did you make our pizza oven out of clay? I was also going to make a pizza/bread oven this year. Fortunately as a builder I'd found an old cast iron oven door some years ago and kept it thinking it must come in useful sometime. Although the oven I used in France for bread seemed to do fine with just a piece of thick hardwood. I'm going to build mine at the allotment using the traditional method I saw in France which is to make it of broken roof tiles on edge, building them up in layers. From what I've seen clay ovens are too liable to crack.
For the hurricane stove I was thinking of using pieces of thick steel plate for the hotplates, will get it cheap when I order some steel beams.