freecycle

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: freecycle

Well , It´s 2 weeeks now since I tried to join the nearest group!. not heardnaything so I guess, it must have lapsed into disuse!

ajs88
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Yesterday I used our local group for the first time, we got a bigger bed and our old one was still fine so I offered it. I was unsure if we would get any replies but we got quite a few and they were all polite and friendly, I suppose its not something you can sell on easily so it only attracted people who geniunly needed it.

Having said that once I rang the person to arrange a time they started getting a bit fussy, exactly what model was it etc, felt a bit like I was having to sell it to them. This made me dubious as to whever they were actually coming to get it so I did press them a bit asking if they were sure they wanted it as others did, they said yes definatly and they came that evening to get it. They were very polite and seemed very grateful, I think they were just unsure as to why someone would get rid of a double bed that was still usable so I pointed to my six foot and very broad husband and said because its too small for him :lol:

Stonehead
A selfsufficientish Regular

We've just taken a Land Rover load of stuff to the recycling point because Freecyclers/Freeglers and charity shops were extremely picky. There were a couple of large garbage bags of boys clothes, all in good, clean condition but at two to eight years old not fashionable enough or new enough. There were several cartons of toddler and beginner reader books, all in good, clean condition but there was no interest in them whatsoever. (We've run out of space to store books or we'd have kept them.) There were several boxes of toddler and younger children's toys. All in good, clean condition. Ironically, most of them came to us via Freecycle/Freegle. But again, nothing new or recent enough to be fashionable. The next load includes a good, wooden cot and clean mattress (it had a cover on it), a wicker moses basket and stand, a wooden highchair and a folding metal/plastic one that used to be kept at the in-laws.

We've been offering items on and off for years, only to be told repeatedly that nothing we offer is new enough or fashionable enough. It's daft—we're not a shop so we'd hardly have new stuff, would we? As for being fashionable enough, does it really matter that much if a cot is a 12-month-old one or a 10-year-old one provided it's clean, sturdy and safe?

battybird

Wish you were near me! I have grandchildren in Thailand and am always on the lookout for kids books to send out there..have to be cheap or free as the postage is huge!!
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

welshmum
Tom Good
Tom Good

I have been really lucky with the childrens clothes I have listed on freecycle. There is a very large council benefit culture in the county I live in so young children and baby items go very quickly.

southeast-isher

battybird wrote:Wish you were near me! I have grandchildren in Thailand and am always on the lookout for kids books to send out there..have to be cheap or free as the postage is huge!!
Hi Battybird, how are your sons getting on out in Thailand? Do they teach out there? Hope everything in Portugal is okay. Best wishes.

battybird

Hi Southeast-isher
Sorry, had computer-free few days! Yes both sons teach in Thailand (outskirts of Bangkok). They seem to have a great life out there, so much cheaper cost of living rent etc, just long way away. Webcams are great tho! Like black magic!! Have not been to portugal for a few months now, hoping to get out after OH has finished with next round of hospital appointments and treatment. Have been told its all ok there though after the wintery weather! Knee deep in weeds again, I expect!

Milims

Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

battybird

Wow, you lucky thing! :thumbright: Hope you enjoy it even more cos its free! Why does that add to the enjoyment :dontknow:

Milims

I've waited for about 7 years for one - so I'm certainly going to enjoy it! :mrgreen:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

happyhippy

for the most part our freecycle group has been quite good.We've given away a fair amount of stuff and picked up a few great things.Last year we collected a boxed up,never used home brewing kit which I truly appreciated!I do get abit annoyed when either people who are supposed to collect and don't show,and then you have to post another advert or the person collects and does'nt say a plain thankyou!I have noticed though,our mods posted a message just before Xmas saying that people who collected can re sell the item,and since then,the offers have dropped off alot!I guess people would rather give their stuff to a local charity shop and assume the money will be put to good use rather than freecycle it and the person might then re sell and use the money for themselves.

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ahh the joys of freecycle!!! Such a super resource but also especially over here abused!! People seem to use the Belfast freecycle like Santas wish list! On a brighter note I just got an under counter fridge, 2yrs old and in great order from freecycle! I love it I just wish people didn't abuse it. X

spider8

It's the same here. The mods have just posted a message asking people not to put long lists of items wanted as it pis*es people off. Some put whole house contents down as requests.......fridge, freezer, sofas, chairs, beds, tvs, DVD players etc., - cheeky so-and-so's!
Life's a bitch and then you diet.