What is happening to this lemon plant?

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
danic85
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

What is happening to this lemon plant?

Hi All,

I've got an unusual thing going on with this lemon plant, all the leaves are dying off gradually - it looks like they're seeping brown droplets underneath the leaves and then as the droplets dry the leaves gradually curl up and fall off.

Does anyone know what I can do to stop it? Pictures are in the link below

http://ethicalomnivore.co.uk/2011/02/25/lemon-problems/

Thanks!

darkbrowneggs
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: What is happening to this lemon plant?

Hi - I can't really see from the photos, but I often get problems with scale insect on the citrus.

They are like little shallow limpets which cling to the leaves, mostly on the undersides. You can pick them off with your fingernails or use a cotton bud dipped in something like Ecover washing up liquid.

If you are into chemicals then a systemic insecticide will kill them, but it will probably kill any pollinating insects or insect eating insects that come in contact with the plant (have to say I try not to use anything like that)

I have never noticed that scale insects kill the leaves. Leaf drop is more often a watering problem, usually overwatering. Bay trees (even outside) are particularly susceptible to scale insect and seem to be a source of infection for citrus (as least in my garden). :icon_smile:

All the best
Sue

danic85
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks, Sue. You have been a big help.

I think you're right about it being scale insect, they look exactly like one of the species I've found on a quick image search. I have treated the plant with ecover washing up liquid as you suggested and hopefully it will start to pick up.

It must be either the severity of the infestation or over-watering that is causing the leaf drop. The scale insect are everywhere, I didn't notice at first but they are covering the stems as well.

Hopefully that will be the end of them :)

Thanks!

darkbrowneggs
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

danic85 wrote:Thanks, Sue. You have been a big help.

I think you're right about it being scale insect, they look exactly like one of the species I've found on a quick image search. I have treated the plant with ecover washing up liquid as you suggested and hopefully it will start to pick up.

It must be either the severity of the infestation or over-watering that is causing the leaf drop. The scale insect are everywhere, I didn't notice at first but they are covering the stems as well.

Hopefully that will be the end of them :)Thanks!
Sorry, but you may be a bit optimistic there. :( You will have to keep and eye on things. Pick off what are easy to remove and if after a few days things are not looking better get some ordinary methylated spirits and dip the end of a cotton wool bud and paint each individual live scale insect. A labour of love I am afraid. :shock:

All the best
Sue
PS This isnt one grown from a pip is it.

cocobelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

A friend of mine has the same problem with his. His opinion is that the last winter was too harsh and he didn't protect it well enough. Though it didn't look too good to me during last summer either!
Organic Baby Clothes made with natural, sustainable fabrics.