Contraception and St Johns Wart rant

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
ajs88
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Contraception and St Johns Wart rant

I went to renew my prescription for the pill since I had run out before Christmas, as the nurse was typing it out she asked are you taking any medication? No. Even any herbal remedies? St Johns Wart I replied. If you take the pill and SJW you'll end up pregnant you need to stop taking the SJW and see a doctor about going on anti-depressants :angryfire: her only other suggestion was to carry on using condoms and didn't seem to understand the need for greater intimacy

After this I left my GP's in a whirlwind of emotion feeling I had to choose between our sex life and my wellbeing, I had only been taking SJW since xmas when OH told me there making redundancies and it got a bit much, it has since made a really positive change to me

I did my own research and found the study that looked at the effect of SJW and the pill, it said that SJW reduces the levels of some of the things that make the pill work and that women taking both should be recommended to use a cap as well. I then went on to research the cap and spoke to my mum who used one for years and felt it was good option for me either in addition to the pill or not. I spoke to OH and he said we could take turns using a condom or cap and share the responsibility

I went back to my GP, cancelled the appointment to see a doctor to talk about ADs and asked to be booked in to have a cap fitted. They said I need to go to the family planning clinic that visits the surgery, so the next week I went.

So I took yet more time off work to go to the doctors and had the embarrassment of male colleagues asking if I was ok as it was my second doctors appointment . It was an afternoon appointment and so ended up rushing to get over there, told that FPC was cancelled and was going to be the next day, after asking her to garentee I would be seen the next day she asks is it for you or the baby? I said I don't have a baby I want contraception, oh she said go to the little reception desk over there. So I waited for ages before the seeing a woman who I don't think was even a nurse who said she can't fit a cap but why do I want one. I explained why I couldn’t have hormonal contraceptives and she then did a hard sell on a non-hormonal coil that causes heavy and painful periods and would still have to go elsewhere to get fitted :banghead:

I went back home and burst into tears why do I have to choose between heavy and painful periods and my wellbeing? Why is it me, a woman, that has to have endless doctors appointments that I then have to notify everyone of and brush off are you ok? are you pregnant? is it a rash? etc. OH gave me a big hug and said if you want to take SJW then take it, if you want a cap then get one

One thing the second lady did do is give me the number for a nearby clinic that should do caps and after hours appointments and OH has agreed to come with me so I get what I want and we can do it together

battybird
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Contraception and St Johns Wart rant

Sounds like you have had a horrible time.. :hugish: hope you get it sorted. Our Gp has only just started doing evening appointments but FPC is still at random times in the morning or afternoon, meaning time off work (not easy if you work a distance away from home) Last t :icon_smile: ime my friend had to take the entire day off. You would think they would have worked this out by now! Luckily (or maybe not!) I am past that age myself!
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

Milims

Hugs hun :hugish: Did anyone mention a Mirena coil to you? http://www.womens-health.co.uk/mirena.asp
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

:hugish: You poor thing, I think they forget sometimes that there are other forms of contraception besides the pill and condoms :roll:
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

Millymollymandy

Oh dear what a palaver :hugish: I do hope you get it sorted out in the end. I didn't know about the St Johns Wort and the pill either - not that I am taking either but I wonder how many people don't know this? :shock:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

george
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

What a faff for you. I hope you get it sorted out soon too. I would second trying to find out if a Mirena is ok with SJW. It is a very good alternative to the pill and doesn't have the coil's problem of causing heavy periods - in fact if you are lucky it stops them altogether!

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Millymollymandy wrote: I didn't know about the St Johns Wort and the pill either - not that I am taking either but I wonder how many people don't know this? :shock:
This is the reason St John's Wort is banned in Ireland, which is strange for a country where the pill was only made widely available a few years ago and is still taboo for Catholics.
I've been taking it for years (SJW that is, not the contraceptive pill :iconbiggrin: ) and have to illegally import it, although I could get it on prescription, and may well have to if the UK clamps down on herbal remedies.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

ajs88
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thank you so much for all of the :grouphug: and advice, weve given ourselves a little break before going to the clinic but im feeling a lot more confident about it now

boboff

After the kids, my wife was very tired, having had two in two years. The Pill made her ratty as hell. She had the coil fitted and her periods are normal, and she at least can maintain a sence of humour in the days before her period.

So as a man I like the fact my wife is not as argumentative on a monthly basis, I don't have to bother, and she's not having a load of chemicals in her. Her lady bits are a funny shape and even so the experience was not that bad or painfull for her, aparently.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Boboff- this is a great review of Mirena- my Dr was suggesting it for me, I am still having a think but your reply from someone living with it (so to speak) has given me food for thought...

AJS88:
Just a thought, I have had a lot of success taking Vitex agnes castus (chaste tree) for PMT/ heavy periods etc and although it is not a contraceptive, if used with the Billings method and a calender to track your cycle it may help you? I woudl check with a Naturopath as to whether you can take it with SJW.
Last edited by Jessiebean on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

my blog: http://thedullroarphilosophy.blogspot.com/

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Okay, this is a male perspective so there's some subjects I'll just avoid with a 50 foot pole.

As for the depression however,there are alternatives to St John's Wort, I've found vitamin D to be more effective especially in conjunction with a daylight lamp in the winter. The other thing I've found is doing a course or something which is very engages the mind and the body (like gardening/food growing).

Also St John's Wort is no good in the summer, I was taking it as tea and found after a very sunny day I became covered in a rash head to foot. I stopped taking it and the rash went only to cause peeling hands and feet. The doctor confirmed it was probably SJW that caused the rash.

wildbee
Tom Good
Tom Good

:hugish: I hope you find something that works for you.
Have you ever heard of non-latex condoms? They are really thin and 'different' to normal ones ... :thumbright:

patR
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

There are actually lots of prescribed medicine that you shouldnt mix with St J.W.
Heart pills and other serious meds... people really really should check, then check again before taking herbal remedies if they are on ANY kind of prescribed medication...
http://www.crazyfeetfootwear.com
for something just a little bit different

JulieSherris

I'll throw my hat in here, Ajs & support the Mirena suggesters.

My daughter had one fitted just after she had her daughter (although childbirth isn't compulsory to have one of these bad boys fitted!) They last for 5 years before you have to have it changed, although you can have it removed at any time. Her periods stopped almost completely - I think in the last 7 years, she's had maybe 4 periods? So she's saved tons of cash into the bargain too!!

I'm not au fait with St John's Wort though, but I know it helped a friend of mine greatly a few years back - until she stopped taking it when she found herself pregnant :shock:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink: