Bleach alternative

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Bleach alternative

Last edited by lovelygreenleaves on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bleach alternative

Vinegar and bicarb...

TBH I have never understood why people want to kill all the germs that are in the toilet pan... I mean they are back in there the next time it gets used anyway, right?

Keeping it looking clean will mean there won't be many nasties down there anyway.

I use an anti bacterial spray for the bits that you touch (started doing that after I had a really severe gut infection) but a home made spray with tea tree would probably be as good.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Derry
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

vinegar, bicarb, lemon juice, tea tree oil.. household essentials ^-^ when i *finally* move out, i dont want any products that i dont need.. i might start implementing this rule on my blokes house when he moves in.... :mrgreen:

lazyspice
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Derry wrote:vinegar, bicarb, lemon juice, tea tree oil.. household essentials ^-^ when i *finally* move out, i dont want any products that i dont need.. i might start implementing this rule on my blokes house when he moves in.... :mrgreen:
That's pretty much all I use these days too - plus soap nuts and soda crystals :thumbright:

Derry
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

brown sauce for brass.. :mrgreen:

lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks everyone. What do you think will really get the toilet pan clean? As in, nasty-germs free? I'm a great believer in cleaning things properly being better than squirting bleach everywhere, but what would methods would you suggest for the loo that mean I don't have to worry about everyone getting tummy bugs from it? :scratch:

lazyspice
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I use vinegar and bicarb but there was a similar discussion on this thread:

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... =1&t=12424

Hubby still favours bleach but we've not been struck down with anything nasty since I switched cleaning methods about a year ago :dontknow:

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Why don't you just use an eco friendly toilet cleaner? :scratch: I've never understood bleach down the bog really when loo cleaner does the job much better, as it is thick and sticks to the sides and up under the rim.

Of course you could always get your marigolds on a la Kim and Aggie and scrub it all with a brillo with your hands. :lol: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: Why they had to show that on telly the other night when a good scrub with a loo brush first to remove the worst of the revolting encrusted filth is beyond me, other than it's telly :roll: and the more disgusting it is I suppose it attracts more viewers.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

rachelk
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I spray the pan every time after flushing with a mixture of citrus and pine oil, just a few drops diluted in water.

Urban Ayisha
Living the good life
Living the good life

i make up a spray bottle with a few quirts of soap and 10-15 drops of tea tree oil which is antibacterial, then fill it up with water. does the job and smells good too!

charlotticus
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 52.71
longitude: .74

I use Eden EM Ecological Cleaner. Its a fantastic, cost effective, environmently friendly way of cleaning your whole house.
EM stands for effective microbacteria you can read all about it on line.
You can buy a 3l box of the active liquid from the recycleworks for about £17. I split this box with my friend and it will last for more than a year.
The probiotic cleaner is amazing at getting rid of smells, keeps bathrooms and worksurfaces sparkling clean, and it is actually beneficial to the environment.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Hi charlotticus and welcome to Ish :wave:

Why don't you go to our introduce yourself section and tell us a bit more about you. All we know at present is that you're fond of effective micro-organisms, particularly those favoured by Adam and Eve :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Candi
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Firstly a hi to everyone who is conscious of the poison we put back into this beautiful planet.
I use organic cleaners and soaps,as all our waste water goes into a septic tank that then naturally biodegrades, ( needs to be fed natural bacterias, ie natural yogurt) and the surplus water irrigates underground through big perforated pipes, the land with the fruit with the fruit trees on. Of course if we use bleach this would kill the natural bacteria needed in the septic tank and also kill my trees. My brother who is on mains drains , believes only in Cillit Bang ! Tut tut....