grow potatoes in pots

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
KK21
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

grow potatoes in pots

I haven't got a big garden, but still fancy the idea of some potatoes in tubs and pots.

Do I have to stick with small potatoes, ie first or maybe second earlies ?

I managed to get a few of the old recycle boxes, which I think would be good for a few tubers too.

When should I be planting ? I am in the NE of England

Will any type of compost do ?

I grow tomotoes in the greenhouse, and usually just buy growbags and tip the compost in the pots, well rings really.

thanks !

ps what other crops grow well in pots ? :icon_smile:
http://www.urbanhives.co.uk << for beekeepers looking for space, or landowners looking for beekeepers

yvette
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: grow potatoes in pots

Never grown potatoes in pots - but have had good results with tomatoes, courgettes, aubergines, herbs. Good luck with your potatoes - someone more knowledgable is bound to answer your questions!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

In my experience - other people may have had very different experiences - its maincrop spuds which do best in containers. I have grown earlies, but I think the result isn't as good. If you have a decent-sized pot you can grow a half-dozen climbing French beans in it, but you need a wigwam to sit on the top for the beans to climb up (and then beware strong winds). One such pot kept us in beans until the runners in the garden were ready. Courgettes do well in pots (only single plants this time), as will any salad crop including baby beetroot. Horseradish is good, but you need a deeper than average pot for that.

Planting time depends on local climate and where you are keeping the pots (at least until it's warm enough not to bother). If they're going to be in their final outdoor positions from the word go, the traditional time is when the danger of frosts has passed. This used to be the back end of April but, in general, it's a lot earlier now. My spuds are planted at the end of March, but they are in a pretty sheltered position and I plant them deeper in the containers than would be normal in the open ground.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

All good advice,if I could add,when growing anything in containers,the watering is vital/difficult.It's easy to over/under water.So the bigger the container the better.I have loads of growing space but the green gages are still in BIG containers(moved under cover when the weather's bad),but it's still a big faff.

Carltonian Man

KK21 wrote:ps what other crops grow well in pots ? :icon_smile:
You could try rosemary, chives, carrots. I've got jerusalem artichokes growing in rubble sacks, successful with a heavy crop but they grow tall (nine feet above the top of the bag) so will need to be somewhere they can be tied up and supported. Also had a couple of pumpkins from a pot.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

tomatoes, peppers, chilies, courgette,cucumber,celery ,leeks, onions , aubergines, lettuces, strawberries
Ive had/have got all of these in containers and loads of assorted herbs too.

basically I guess you can gow anything in a container. depends on size of p0t of course. need to provid supports in some cases
and watering/ feeding, is more problematic
There are pros and cons to any method.

can be more work, and smaller yields... but if very limited actual land space ( as in my case). well albeit a smaller yield from a container.. it´s still MORE than not planting it at all!

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

All of the above and the stubby varieties of carrot, garlic, infact most crops, if the container is big enough & you can keep it watered. Don't overlook the humble hanging basket: tumbling toms are obvious, but most cut 'n' come again leaves would do reasonably well too, as well as the smaller herbs, such as mint, sage and chives.

Good growing!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

KK21

Thank you everybody who has posted replies
http://www.urbanhives.co.uk << for beekeepers looking for space, or landowners looking for beekeepers

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have 2 first earlies left over [hoping I didnt plant the rest too early, they are under fleece, guess I will just have to wait and see what comes up] anyways...

After reading this thread I think I will put the last 2 into sacks with some compost in the bottom, rolled down till they need topping up. Not sure if it will let me compare, but may as well use them. Will let you know.
Sarah :flower:

godfreyrob
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The trouble with pots/planters is what to put in them - not what to grow in them but what are you going to use to fill them up with?
I got myself 4 spud grow bags + seed potatoes as a 'kit' for £19.99 and then spent the same again on compost :(

I think each spud on my plate cost me at least £3!

Hopefully you can get hold of some decent top-soil/homr made compost for free to fill your containers?

stevetc

I've been told (yep, hearsay) about a method which involves growing potatoes in car tyres . . . In which you wait til the plant reaches a certain stage, whack on another tyre of compost, and repeat the process. Apparently you get a new crop of potatoes in each addition, and sorta eat your way down from the top.
Don't know if it works because i've never tried it, but sounds great for limited space.

Lazydaisy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Grow 3 lots of spuds in pots last year so trying again this. Have put Pink Fir in the refillable polythene pototo tubs. In large polythene tubs that should be for beans I have put some more Pink Fir, Charlotte and Maris Piper. I have rolled the tops down and will fill them up as they grow. I have used potato compost from my garden centre which 3 x 60 ltrs bags for £12.00. I shall put the compost into the compost bins when finished and it will go back into the garden. Will let you know how they get on.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry - can't get a link to work.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

MEL78
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi don't know if you have a shop called Home Bargains near you but at present at mine they are selling spud grow sacks and veg sacks for 2.00 ......