Potatoes

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
kevino
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Potatoes

Have got some early potatoes which are being chittered as we speak. When do I put them into the ground/when will i know they are ready to put into the ground. Here at St Osyth in Essex we are still getting frost some nights so again when do I start.

Sorry if I sound such a numpty but you did say I coud ask anything

Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Potatoes

The old fart rule is to plant your seed pots on good friday but I've had some of my earlies in the ground and in bags since the 12th of this month. If you have plenty then why not put some in now and keep a few back until 2 weeks time.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

The other 'rule of thumb' is St Patric's day (March 17th), which is fixed. To be fair, it depends where you are, but in Essex you should be ok now. If you plant out & then slight frost is threatened, just 'Earth up' ie pull soil over the sprouts. It's only really harsh frost that will kill your spuds & hopefully they are past now.

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mine went in last week, Dorset< so hoping all will be well.
Last year we had a heavy frost and although I didnt earth up before hand and I worried that I ha lost them as they dint look to healthy they produced a good an healthy crop. Also maybe I was lucky but they seemed to prk up after afew days.
But this year if a frost is forecast I will earth up!!

pelmetman

Put my Charlottes in this week :mrgreen:..........we are in Lincolnshire so should be ok in St Osyth.

Dave :pirate:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

godfreyrob
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Put mine in the polytunnel 15th January with a double layer of bubblewrap over them -they are now about 9ins above the ground.
In between we have had really hard frosts (i'm in sunny wharfedale).

I think you can plant them as early as you like as long as you can give them some protection. Bubblewrap is often available quite cheap (even from garden centres) and lasts several years. At this time ofyear frost is not likely to penetrate into the soil (and your spuds will be 6 ins or more underground).