Comfrey - A natural fertiliser

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Rowena Mansfield

Following your mention that Comfrey smells disgusting!

It actually has quite a pungent aroma much loved by plants!

You might also like to know that if you do not have enough room to grow Comfrey you can use dried comfrey as a fertliser or feed for your plants.
We produce a natural product - Celtic Comfrey - which we sell through the internet and various outlets on the Isle of Anglesey - from where our Comfrey is grown and processed.

We also produce a Comfrey Ointment with our home grown comfrey. Comfrey having a long history as a healing plant , being used for such problems as bruises,aiding in the mending of broken and sprained joints and bones, as well as burns,external ulcers, eczema, psoriasis and molluscum.Comfrey must not be used on open or deep wounds,and the injury must be spotlessly clean before Comfrey is used as it is such a rapid healer.Do hope this is of interest.

http://www.herbsfromwales.co.uk

Judy

Comfrey is amazing stuff. If you want to use it as a mulch, or in the bottom of a trench for growing tomatoes, please remember to let it wilt for a minimum of 24 hours.

To make the liquor for plant feeding, I use an old swingbin; I cut a small hole in the bottom of one side for the liquor to trickle through, and then fill it with comfrey-leaves and weight them down. The resultant (smelly ) stuff should be diluted with water to the colour oweakish tea before use. The squidgy slimy remains of the leaves are brill on the compost heap.

Cheers

Pam

A tip given to me by one of the 'old timers' at our allotment site.
Grow Comfrey around your compost bins, the deep roots will mop up any goodness leaching from the compost as it rots down. Its also in the ideal place for adding to your compost, it makes a brilliant compost accelerator if the heap takes a while to get going.

angelbabe
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

i've used liquid comfrey fertiliser for years! its great stuff- but the SMELL!!! :shock: my neighbours can tell when i've been fertilising! :pale:
I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world