how to prepare hogweed?

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
zolou
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 52.22
longitude: -1.39

how to prepare hogweed?

Can anyone advise the best way to prepare hogweed? As far as my memory goes, Robin Harford, on his foraging walk, suggested picking with gloves and boiling it up twice, throwing the water away each time, before eating. I had some today, going for the young, partially unfurled shoots as recommended, and although very delicious it did feel like a bit of an irritant, both to the hands (when gloveless) and to the throat (when cooked - maybe I didn't cook it for long enough).

Slightly ashamed to say this at this stage, but I'm also not entirely clear how to distinguish the edible common hogweed from the poisonous giant hogweed, so would be glad for any tips on that too.

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: how to prepare hogweed?

The seeds are very good as a spice but there are plenty of other edible leaves around this time of year to not bother with this plant. It has a strong irritant in the stem which burns the skin when exposed to sunlight. If I were you I would go on another foraging walk and find some alternatives to hogweed - lime leaves spring to mind for a salad and for a cooked leaf/salad - Jack by the hedge. Or why not chickweed, plantain, dandelion, fat-hen, nettle!?
I'll be doing a walk in Northampton in July or August not far from Warwick in the meantime have a look through food for free by Richard Mabley.

zolou
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Dave,

Do you have details of your Northampton walk?

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm afraid I'm trying to fit things around a very hectic schedule at the moment, I can't give you any more details than July or August. It will be either a day (10-4) with some lunch for £50 or half day without lunch (1-5) for £35, it will be in July or August and will very probably be in Bradlaugh fields.
Watch this space- I soon as I get a clear afternoon I'll sit down and work out just what I'm doing this summer.

hedgewizard
A selfsufficientish Regular

Take young shoots before the leaf has uncurled, and wash them in cold water before cooking them in a heavy pan with a good knob of butter, salt and freshly ground pepper. Don't dry the stems first. Once they're tender put them in a serving dish with a bit of butter on top, and drizzle them with lemon juice. Yum!
http://www.farminmypocket.co.uk - polytunnel offers, reviews, and more self-sufficiency information than you can shake a chicken at

hedgewizard

Dammit, pressed the button too early! Giant hogweed is a much rougher looking plant with a grooved stem than the relatively tender hogweed Image
Giant hogweed
Regular hogweed

Can't really stress enough though, there's no substitute for walking out with someone who can show you, like Dave! And as he says, there's better stuff out there this time of year.
http://www.farminmypocket.co.uk - polytunnel offers, reviews, and more self-sufficiency information than you can shake a chicken at

zolou
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks folks, I will try a bit younger next time. Nice to have something other than leaves. Look forward to hearing about the Northamptonshire walk :)

Was weeding my veg patch yesterday (not easy for a forager) and ate some very tasty thistle roots - tasted like jerusalem artichokes, very tender.

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Zolou, I've posted courses up on the website, including one in Northampton, it all here http://www.selfsufficientish.com/main/2 ... -bookshop/