Elderflower syrup

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
JeremyinCzechRep
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Elderflower syrup

I am a big fan of elderflower syrup and make plenty each year. Last week I drank my last bottle from last year's batch - and it was as delicious as the first bottle. I tend to use more sugar than other people. A friend uses about half the sugar that I do, but then has problems with the syrup fermenting (though not everyone would see that as a problem!). When I make up the syrup, I use a small shot of syrup, an equal quantitiy of lemon juice (fresh is best) and then water to taste. If you'd like to see my recipe, have a look at: http://www.jeremytaylor.eu/elderflower_syrup.htm
When you're sitting in your car, don't complain about the traffic. You are the traffic.
Have a look at my website with lots of photos, recipes and books

Radu
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 49°29′
longitude: 6°05′

Re: Elderflower syrup

I also need to find my local elder tree here in Luxembourg! Thanks for the remind. Moving around you sometimes forget when things come to flower, fruit or whatnot..

JeremyinCzechRep
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I was in the UK last week and saw the first elderflowers in Kent. With the warm weather they should be out pretty quickly. My sister was here from New Zealand and she told me Elder doesn't grow down there - and they're very strict about bringing new plants into the country.
Hi Susie! Good to be back.
Last edited by JeremyinCzechRep on Sat May 07, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you're sitting in your car, don't complain about the traffic. You are the traffic.
Have a look at my website with lots of photos, recipes and books

sarahturner
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 53.7333
longitude: -2.4000

Try elderflower syrup diluted with fizzy water and add a splash or 2 of limoncello, the best thing after a day's hard digging!! :-)

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

JeremyinCzechRep wrote:I was in the UK last week and saw the first elderflowers in Kent. With the warm weather they should be out pretty quickly. My sister was here from New Zealand and she told me Elder doesn't grow down there - and they're very strict about bringing new plants into the country.
Hi Susie! Good to be back.
I am in NZ - have Black elder. If she wants you can PM me her address and i'll try send her a rooted cutting? :cheers:
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength