Beds vs rows

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Millie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Beds vs rows

OH has his nose in my new organic gardening book, and it turns out that Im not meant to plant in nice neat rows with space to walk between each, Im meant to be doing beds to reach into. So, which way do you favour, and does it matter in the grand scheme of things? This is trial and error for us (aint it for everyone?!) so we can always try it different next year!

BTW whilst Im here, can I just say how great Hillbilly's blog is, Ive picked up some great tips, and Im even finding myself nodding in agreement over some things, so this stuff must be getting through!!! :lol:

(off to google garlic chives also pmsl)

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I eng up having both, beds for sweetcorn, dasiys and tomatoes every thing else in rows. actually I am planning on having a bed for my purple sproating broccoli in the uncultivated area.

\i can see the benefits of beds and might be converted, we have pretty sandy soil so I think due to there being less walking needed and thus the soil does not get so impacted, I should really try out beds for everything. perhaps next year.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Millie,

I "converted" from rows to beds some years ago, although when it makes sense I do use rows as well. I am currently setting up the system where my beds are the same size as my chook tractor so that it will sit directly over the top.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

I had beds for many years but now I have the space for a 'proper' veggie patch I just love having rows. It looks like a real old traditional veggie patch.

I leave a wider space between every 4 rows or so (depending on the veg) so I only walk on that bit. My soil is so light that there is no problem with compaction anyway.

wulf

One of the advantages of rows is that, while the seedlings are still tiny you can still weed - any weeds that are clever enough to get themselves in the row get a little extra time before the seedlings start to differentiate themselves but you can keep the rest of them down on the principle that if it's not in the row, it's not what you want.

My growing spaces are all small and square / rectangular anyway, so once I've got past that first stage, I often transplant the stronger thinnings into gaps around the original row, giving a combination of the two: a bed approach for continued cultivation but with a row of what will probably be the best plants down the middle.

Wulf

albert onglebod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ive got mostly beds as I started off reading John Seymour and thats what he recommended. I'd like to eventually have all deep beds as the 2 little ones I've got are doing very well. The potatoes are in rows though and the beans as it seems more practical for harvesting.

2steps

I use both depending on where I'm planting but I do like the look of rows :mrgreen: and how it makes weeding easier

glenniedragon

I read this thread as Beds (as in those to sleep in) Vs Rows (as in arguements)........some say I have a one track mind......of to seek solace in a bottle

kind (clean) thoughts
Deb

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Poor Deb......... :cry:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/