A natural waterproof mascara....?

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
clare.donovan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

A natural waterproof mascara....?

Hi All,

I have a quick question. I am on the look out for a natural waterproof mascara, but have not been able to find one. I have also spoken to my aunt (who knows a great deal about all things natural) and she isn't aware of any on the market, so I thought I'd see if anyone here knows of any.

Currently I very rarely wear make up (special occasions only) but I would like to wear some mascara to work. I know this may sound a little silly, but I can't wear my current one as its not waterproof. I work as a paediatrician, and I find that people assume Im younger than I am (some parents have actually asked me how old I am!) to which I always thank them for the compliment, but I can see that they sometimes assume Im less experienced than I actually am based on how old they think I am. Whilst I love my job and its mostly amazing fun, occasionally poorly children die, and its very upsetting for everyone who has been trying to care for them. Although this doesn't happen often, it usually occurs in an emergency situation where either a child is rushed into A+E or where there is a problem when a baby is born and they don't survive. It one thing to be a little 'teary' in these situations, whilst trying to support the devastated parents and family, but I don't want to end up with mascara everywhere as this clearly isn't professional. As you can't plan for when these situations will occur I don't wear any make up to work just in case its one of those days....

Any help or advice would be much appreciated,
Best wishes,
Clare :flower:

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: A natural waterproof mascara....?

I don't think anyone's come-up with a natural waterproof one yet. But I use this one - http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 5876799_-1

Not sure just how natural and organic it really is

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Don't know about a natural waterproof mascara but have you thought about Vaseline? I doesn't colour, obviously, but it does make your eyelashes seem thicker and bolder - and it's waterproof!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

becks77
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi There,
The Bo**s Naturals is a clear mascara if that helps
http://www.boots.com/en/Natural-Collect ... ara_24312/
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

clare.donovan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Many thanks for all the suggestions!! :iconbiggrin:

Clare :flower:

Susie

I'm actually surprised you can get entirely natural mascara at all, I would have thought you needed some preservative, because it's kind of a lotion, possibly you can get natural preservative? (I never entirely understand these things!). Good luck with your mascara quest, Clare, I can see why you would need it to be waterproof.
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Susie wrote:it's kind of a lotion
Those of us old enough to remember our Mothers' (aunts, grandmothers etc) mascara will remember a little solid rectangle of black stuff that came with it's own little brush and you spat on it to water it down sufficiently to apply! I don't remember anyone, ever, getting eye infections from it and it lasted for years if, like me, you use it once every Preston Guild.

This new-fangled stuff is just plain nasty, but a marketing man's dream - you have to replace it every 3 months, can't share it with others and if you ignore the advice it's your own fault if you end up with an infection!

And despite all the promises it still gives you clumps of stuck together eyelashes, unless you spend hours with a pin separating each one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin