Broken bones

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Broken bones

My son has managed to break his thumb, the day before his first GCSE :roll: , on the hand that he writes with. Does anyone have any advice about how to encourage healing, reduce bruising and alleviate pain?
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Re: Broken bones

That happened to a school friend of mine. He was given a teacher to act as scribe. That was nearly 30 years ago now mind. I bet cutbacks would prevent that now.

Good luck to him.

Zoe

Lilyfae
Tom Good
Tom Good

awful luck!
Arnica for bruising (cream)
Comfrey (old name is knitbone) for speeding up healing ( tea/poultice/cream/tincture)
Ibuprofen for pain relief whilst taking exams
Rescue Remedy for nerves/twinges when taking exam

Btw if he can't write at all get a doctors note & he may well be entitled to a scribe or extra time due to his inability to adequately complete said task in same time conditions as everyone else who hasn't got a broken thumb- speak to his head of year/ exams officer.

Milims

Thanks Lily. I had thought about arnica - but that would mean disturbing the bandage that is presently supporting his thumb until he's plastered - but I could use arnica pillules. I had also thought of comfrey - but dismissed it for the same reason - can it be used as a tea or similar? I'm already onto the Ibuprophen :icon_smile: Clearly great minds think alike - or mostly - I hadn't thought of the Rescue Remedy :iconbiggrin:
Thomzo - I'm hoping that they will find him a scribe - although I'm not sure how easy it wil be for them with maths and physics. I know when I worked at the school a couple of years ago they had a similar problem with another student - clearly little has changed!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Comfrey tincture can be good, my husband used an eyedropper to pop it down under the bandages, not supposed to be taken internally here in Aus. (is it the same in UK?) but in my experience it can help speed healing too.
"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

my blog: http://thedullroarphilosophy.blogspot.com/

Silver Ether

Comfrey can be taken in Homeopathic pills but you will need to get them from a practitioner .. don't think its one you can get over the counter .. we used then when our lad broke his arm ... .. I am sure he should be given a scribe just asked old fella .. teacher and he says the school should be able to sanction a scribe ... :icon_smile:
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

Glen Gilchrist
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

As a teacher -- he should be given a scribe (in exam speak he needs an amanuensis). Also, he might be entitled to extra time or even exempt (and the exam board will use estimated grades).

Was it English today???

Hope all is well.
Glen
Entropy - it's not what it used to be.
Blogging at: www.glengilchrist.co.uk