Knitted cowl

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
Susie
A selfsufficientish Regular

Knitted cowl

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uselessbea ... hotostream#

(Sorry you have to click a link - I'm on an old browser so flickr won't give me the code to embed).

This is my profoundly unimpressive cowl - I know it's not wonderful but I'm really proud of it. I knitted it using the stranded colourwork technique, and all my books give instructions for this in a way that I can't do, so I had to work out a different way with the help of nice people on my blog and Ravelry. I'm so pleased to be able to knit colourful patterns FINALLY! I've got my eye on colourful scandinavian-type mittens but I'm doing handwarmers next and working up to it ;-).
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

julie_lanteri
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Knitted cowl

really nice work Susie! I'd visited your blog before (probably from ravelry or burdastyle?)
one multi-talented gal : )

Keaniebean

That's lovely Susie, and as a non knitter it's VERY impressive. :iconbiggrin:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Susie

Thank you both! :icon_smile:

I'm so pleased with it I've gone wild and blocked it. I never do that ;-).

Eagerly waiting for my 3mm needles to come so I can start my handwarmers. Come on Mr Postman!
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Keaniebean

Nope, lost you there Susie, isn't blocking something you do in boxing or such sports. :lol:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

As a keen knitter it's still impressive! ('cos we knitters know the patience it took!)

Well done you, I look farward to seeing the rest...hurry up Mr Postman!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

becks77

Really lovey.
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

That's fab! Totally beyond my current knitting level :lol:

bonniethomas06

I saw this on your blog Susie and I LOVE it.

In fact I am very very close to starting to knit something myself that isn't a ribbed (if I am feeling technical) scarf, every time I read your blog I get the urge to have another go.

Have you got any suggestions what a technically impared beginner could have a go at ?
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Susie

Thank you! :mrgreen:

Bonnie, I can feel you coming over to the woolly dark side :lol: . These are my suggestions, I don't know if these are helpful or not so feel free to ignore! First, are you on ravelry? If not I really recommend it because there are thousands of patterns and lots of them are free. Also I have always found www.knitty.com patterns to be good, and they give them a grade in terms of difficulty. If you're a beginner, I would say the thing to avoid to start with is things where gauge is crucial, because that way you can knit away without worrying whether or not it will be usable.

Cowls are good, and good for getting in to circular knitting - I saw this one earlier, this would be dead easy. (You could also knit it on straight needles if you preferred).
Dishcloths are quick and useful and fun for trying out new techniques - this one looks really nice when it's knitted. These ones are really quick,
Fingerless mittens are great for learning to knit on double pointed needles - these are the ones I learnt on, easy-ish and don't take much wool!

Tell me what kinds of things you're interested in knitting and I'll think of patterns. Also if you go on ravelry, I'm Susie99 on there and you're very welcome to go through my favourite patterns because I'm sure there are some things in there that might be suitable x
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

chickenchargrill wrote:That's fab! Totally beyond my current knitting level :lol:
and mine :icon_smile: that really is super, :cheers:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6: