Cob nuts??

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
fluffy
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Cob nuts??

Hi,

My grandad has a tree growing in his back garden and we collected the nuts from them just after christmas. Grandad says they are cob nuts, are these the same as hazelnuts (which is just what they taste like) only a little smaller than the ones you get in the shop? I still have some now in their shells and ate one the other day, they were lovely still and I'm wondering how long they last before going "off".

I was thinking of baking with them, nice cheesecake or in flapjack or something.

Thanks very much

fluffy
x

darkbrowneggs
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Cob nuts??

I think you can freeze nuts if you need to keep them fresh for longer, but they seem to last ages especially if you keep them somewhere cool and dark. If they do go a bit "rancid" flavoured if you pop the kernels on a tray in a coolish oven for a while that seems to freshen them up

all the best
sue

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

... and yes, cobnuts and hazelnuts are the same thing.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Yes, hazelnuts come in two forms cobnuts (round) and filberts (longer and pointier). I think they keep pretty well while in the shell (as long as you keep them somewhere cool and dry) but they'll go off quite quickly when shelled.

We keep ours (not, sadly home picked) in the freezer and they're really nice as a snack - they don't seem to really freeze but it highlights their sweetness and they're yummy.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

We have two cobnuts, full of nuts, the nuts are always eaten fresh straight from the tree, by bloody grey squirrels. We have never managed to get even one, they eat them so young.

Millymollymandy

On the rare occasions I manage to nab a hazel nut before our red squirrels I have been known to crack them two years later and they are still good and edible. However they are so small I rarely bother about them and just let the red squirrels have them, in the hope they will leave my walnuts alone! (They don't, but most years there are enough to keep both us and the squirrels happy :iconbiggrin: ).
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

fluffy

well thanks for all your replies everyone. Thjey definitely are tasty and I feel lucky now that we have managed to nab any. I am keeping them in a kilner jar in the pantry so I hope they will last for a while yet! Thanks all again for your replies now I can tell my grandad they are hazelnuts.

Love fluffy
x