what did you do in the vegpatch/allotment

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Peggy Sue
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: what did you do in the vegpatch/allotment

The first rain for 76 days here- at lasta day when I don't have to carry a watering can! I shall thin my seedlings in the damp (!) soil.
Just Do It!

misty44
Tom Good
Tom Good

I planted out garden peas, moved the herbs which were growing indoors into the cloche, hung two hanging baskets for coriander, put the sunflowers into pots in the garden and unfortunatley broke three that were 8 inches tall when I dropped the pot :banghead:, planted buzzie lizzies, petunias, marigolds and trailing lobelia, potted out the night scented stock and potted up the olive seeds which arrived this morning. (Don't hold out much hope they will grow but will persevere). I also spent a great deal of time just looking at the potato plants, onions, garlic and squash seeds.

misty44
Tom Good
Tom Good

Planted out lettuce, peppers, chillis, loads of flowers, rocket in grow bags, two apple trees and more herbs. I laid pebble paths through the herb garden, stripped out the dead bluebell vegetation and made 30 climbing frames for the broad beans and garden peas (they look much nicer now they are climbing than on the ground). It doesn't sound a lot but this took me 9 hours. I had a great day.

Misty

greenishfingers
Tom Good
Tom Good

tied up and tried torescued a lovely bed of lupins as best I could because it seems to have been blowing a gale for the last month. some stems had snapped in half,must stake them more securely next year. Looked at my very patchy row of swede and told my onions,shallots and garlic to hurry up and fatten up coz there are some rather large kale and cabbage plants waiting to go into that bed :
For us to lose contact with the soil results in real unease and maladjustment...to recapture it affords profound joy and inward comfort. Sam Ogden

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Watered and watered and watered and watered and watered and watered and watered and watered and watered....

you get the point lol!! :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Tried to save the seedlings which were in my minigreenhouse when it was blown over by 70mph winds on Monday. They were being hardened off now they are back in the conservatory where the biggest risk is our cat!

misty44
Tom Good
Tom Good

I've moved the 6 rhubarb crowns into more shady spots but I'm not hopeful they will survive. W.Yorkshire is supposed to be great rhubarb growing area but not for me - I can't work out what I'm doing wrong with them. Planted two apple trees, planted out Acasia Lillies, two of which flowered today and are a beautiful sunset red/orange. Moved loads of sunflowers and milky ways from against the old bathouse wall as they were being eaten by something but can't work out what, definitely not slugs as no slug trails.
Got three days off next week and intend to spend my time doing rain dances. So dry here!

Misty

greenishfingers
Tom Good
Tom Good

Last night at my allotment I planted some red cabbage,fed my courgettes and pumpkins,put straw under strawberries,congratulated the onions for finally fattening up,dug up some shallots (bit small but trying to flower) watched a baby thrush hop about,struggled and swore trying to net the cabbages, and told the leeks to buck up their ideas coz they're looking very sorry for themselves despite a few good regular waterings since they were planted !
For us to lose contact with the soil results in real unease and maladjustment...to recapture it affords profound joy and inward comfort. Sam Ogden

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Spent an awful long time trying to put a fruit cage up :angryfire: round 2 commences tomorrow
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

MEL78
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

dug the last remaining large patch over going to plant butternut squash and pumpkins here...finally got around to netting my broccoli bit too late but never mind.......weeded and watered.......must get back up to sow some courgettes (as my plants have had it battered to death by the high wonds)

misty44
Tom Good
Tom Good

Over the last two days I have re-potted the squash into bigger pots as I have to wait for the potatoes to grow before I have the space to plant in the ground. I moved things around in the herb garden to improve the aesthetic. I've edged it with various shrubs, flowers and bulbs in pots and I'm very pleased with the result.
Not too active but very rewarding. Oh, and mustn't forget...watering!

misty44
Tom Good
Tom Good

Over the last two days I have re-potted the squash into bigger pots as I have to wait for the potatoes to grow before I have the space to plant in the ground. I moved things around in the herb garden to improve the aesthetic. I've edged it with various shrubs, flowers and bulbs in pots and I'm very pleased with the result.
Not too active but very rewarding. Oh, and mustn't forget...watering!

greenishfingers
Tom Good
Tom Good

After being away for 4 days I was desperate to get back to my plot as the weather here has been so hot and dry. All looked well til I checked how the strawberries were coming along....some of them appeared ok but others were a weird orangey-pink colour and very soft and mushy.??? Any suggestions anyone? However,peas are romping away,summer cbbages nearly ready to eat,and onions all big and fat and leaves toppling.Dug up some shallots,most of which were a decent size,picked some spinach for my dinner,told the beans to buck up their ideas,watered everything. Happy Days x

misty44
Tom Good
Tom Good

Busy day today with planting peppers, runner beans, moving containers, planting out loads of flowers. It's amazing how quickly the day goes. Great day!

Misty

greenishfingers
Tom Good
Tom Good

Today i planted out some kale,sowed some swede and beetroot,planted some yellow french beans,fed the pumpkins and courgettes,picked some lettuce,spinach,herbs, 1 strawberry and a few peas (the last 2 didn't make it home)