to flower or not to flower.. strawbs

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
froogs
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

to flower or not to flower.. strawbs

Hi :flower:

I'm new here, relatively new to self-sufficiency but not new to being frugal :thumbright:

I've a problem with my strawberries. I bought them as bare root plants last year and planted them in baskets. They did ok but figured they would be better in the ground so in the winter I moved them to in the ground.

My garden has sun all day but this patch only gets sun in the morning as the high fence shields the strawbs.

Some of the plants flowered ages ago but never bore fruit, I've some flowering now but showing no sign of progressing and some plants just have not flowered.

Any idea what is going on? Is it because they are suffering from being in a more shaded place? Maybe I have bought roots that were coming to the end of their lives last year? :pale: If they are coming to the end of their fruit producing life, if I use this time to try to get the runners to root wouldthat work for next year.

To say I'm upset is an understatement really. :dontknow: Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: to flower or not to flower.. strawbs

Getting some of the runners sounds like a plan. Did you fertilise when the flowers appeared? They need feeding each week. Also, were the roots all one type as the ones which have yet to flower could be a late variety.

bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

froogs wrote:Hi :flower:

I'm new here, relatively new to self-sufficiency but not new to being frugal :thumbright:

Froogs, you don't live in Cornwall do you? Your name sounds awfully familiar!

Sorry can't help with the strawbs, I wouldn't have thought the shade would prevent the fruit from forming once the plant has flowered. You could try some tomato feed to try and nudge it into fruit production.

Or, perhaps it is a pollination issue - but I can't think why if they are outside :dontknow:
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hi
I have loads of plants in a shady part of the garden and they are fruiting really well. I suspect yours just need to get established. After all, they have been moved twice in one year. I planted a new plant earlier this year, it flowered but the fruit didn't set. I would give them another year and see how they get on. You can't have too many strawbs so if you want to pot on a few runners, why not?

Zoe