Making fewer car jouneys

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
red
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Making fewer car jouneys

Green Aura wrote:
red wrote:those heavy glass jars
that are much higher up the recycling hierarchy :roll:
depends i spose, if the lids are recyclable too.

best way is to re-use... which is why i wanted to buy the refill :lol:

but i do use them to store coffee beans:
baldybloke wrote:
I remember when shops had big jars of coffee and they weighed it out for you into brown paper bags. The bags then could be reused or composted. Local health food shops sometimes employ the same principle so you could always buy your coffee from these.
I buy the whole roasted coffee beans loose, by weight, and they put it in a paper bag for me, so - sort of full circle I guess. maybe it is out *duty* to drink more posh coffee. oh dear! :icon_smile: but then back to economics and tight budgets...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Bulworthyproject
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We alway seem to have a problem getting enough jars for dried mushrooms etc... My bugbear about packaging is screwtop wine bottles that crack if you try to recork them for homemade wine.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

We don't drink coffee, but guests sometimes prefer it to tea :dontknow: Instant coffee in a jar tends to go off, so we looked for an alternative, and bought coffee bags - just like tea bags, sold in a similar cardboard box, but they turned out to be wrapped in individual foil/plastic sachets :shock: On the other hand... that's much better for storage :icon_smile:

So which is worse, buying coffee in jars, most of which goes off, or buying it in plastic sachets and using it all?
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

wulf

How about buying it in beans and grinding when required?

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Well, that does require investment in a coffee grinder and cafetiere, but possible...

Do coffee beans keep well? Obviously better than ground, but I'm sure the people selling them would have you believe they're stale in a matter of weeks.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

My daughter gets free beans from C0sta or whatever coffee shop. They put them in small bags on the counter when they think they are not as good as they were. They do her very nicely.

wulf

They are better fresher but, to be honest, I've occasionally kept beans much longer than would be recommended but they've turned out alright.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

grahamhobbs

Keep coffee beans in the freezer, they last for ages, take out and grind just what you need.

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

grahamhobbs wrote:Keep coffee beans in the freezer, they last for ages, take out and grind just what you need.
+1

The only way.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

Masco&Bongo
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.930141
longitude: -2.969870

President Bartlet wrote:From a climate point of view it's good news, but I know I felt depressed when I heard this because if people have managed to reduce car use because of lack of cash, then they could have reduced it before to save CO2 emissions.
It's not a "managing" to reduce though, it's a reduce because there is no other way...

We've sold a large car and gone to a smaller, more economical car, yet I can still only just afford enough petrol to get me to work every day (30 miles, 5 days a week). Trips out in the car are very scare, and even trips to visit family/friends/vet/Dr's are strictly rationed.

I can't get by without a car mainly cos I can't get to work without it. My work is 17miles away and to get there by public transport would take me over 2hrs 30mins; and I still couldn't get there for 9am :dontknow:
"Its not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" - Bruce Wayne

Blog: http://mistressofmeals.blogspot.com/