Work related problems!

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Work related problems!

Ok this is'nt a self suff type topic but thought it might be good to share some thoughts and get some feedback.I have a "niggle"at work.It involves a supervisor and one of her colleaques who are both good friends.I think both are committing fraud within the work place.Both are supposed to work 37.5 hrs per week.The supervisor should finish work at 2.30pm but leaves everyday at 1pm,sometimes earlier.She alledgedly starts work at 6am but I know thats rubbish because I start work at 6.45am and I have seen her come in at that time,not 6am.Her colleaque assumes she has special privileges as she is friends with said supervisor.She also starts work late,leaves early,and sometimes leaves the building for 2 hours on an afternoon to visit her Gran!!!!! :shock: She does this on a regular basis.I have mentioned this to my boss(which is also their boss)and he does'nt seem to have addressed the problem because this has been going on for around 3 years!!!!! They are both being paid for work they are obviously not doing which makes me feel sick! :pukeright: Should I ignore it?Its just seems so unfair.

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Work related problems!

If you make a big issue of this then you risk the chance of retaliation, possibly making your job more difficult or untenable. You have brought the issue to the attention of your Boss and it is now up to him to deal with it. You have done your bit and although it is gauling that they are getting away with it, eventually they will be caught out. Then, if asked, you can say with a clear conscience that you brought it to your Boss's attention and your integrity remains intact.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

Lilyfae
Tom Good
Tom Good

Sorry to hear that, it is frustrating when you stick to the rules and others get away with breaking them left right and centre.

However sometimes it's not worth the bother as people who do get caught out can be vindictive even if they didn't know it was you.
Besides as long as you are legally meeting your contract its their karma not yours.

Controversially you would have to be sneaky to get anything changed so it really depends on whether you really want to rock the boat and take the consequences- perhaps through an 'innocent question' to Human resources about flexibility of hours with staff? (god j feel like Lucrezia Borgia!)

Susie

I know this isn't helpful to say, but, from a purely Machiavellian point of view, if you've brought it up with your boss, that's all you can do: doing anything else will make you look bad (I'm not saying that's fair - it isn't). If it's affecting your work, that's another story, but it's really difficult to address someone doing this if they're not someone who's managed by you. If your boss hasn't done anything, there might be a reason (and it might be a fairly unsavoury one). I'm sorry about this, it's really irritating!
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Milims

Who's your bosses boss?
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I'm afraid I agree with the others. That you will just have to leave it now. You have raised the issue with the appropriate person. Are you sure nothing has been done? Could they both have had their pay reduced in exchange for the reduced hours without your knowing it? Company policy may prevent your boss from telling you that anything has been done.

Alternatively, you could, just very quietly one day, ask your boss if anything has happened about that 'little matter' that you mentioned a few months ago? Even if your boss can't tell you what, if anything, has been done, you will probably tell by their body language how it's been handled.

Zoe

happyhippy

This particular problem is starting to affect my own happiness at work I'm afraid.I've even considered trying to find another job,but the truth is I like my job alot,get good company benefits and so on so it would be a shame to leave.To update,the supervisor's "friend"recently split with their boyfriend and so has been off "sick"for the past 2 weeks!We get paid for sickies and all up she will be off for 4 weeks!I can't help feel resentful that on some days,due to the nature of my shifts,I sometimes work 10.5 hr days.The "friend"works 8 hr shifts and will often tell me she is heading into town for her lunch break,and is then gone for 2 hours!!!!! This is'nt including her other breaks which she has freqently.All up I'd say in an 8 hr shift she works 4 hrs! :angryfire: As for the boss's boss?I've only met her twice(she is'nt based where I am)but when I recently asked the supervisor for her number(for a different matter)she made excuses not to give it to me.Looks like I am going to have to grin and bare it but its just so unfair!

boboff

Do you have appraisals? If so I would definately bring it up then. I think you are right to feel angry, as they are getting paid to do something that they are not doing. You may have to cloud it in management speak " Collective effort, not team players, taking full advantage of a laid back and flexible management style, but overall you should do something about and also stop it getting to you, the anger and resentment that will build up in you and not be good. You could also try mentioning it to your supervisor that her "friend" is taking the piss out of you and her, that it is not fair and you would like it to stop, or perhaps suggest that if this is the agreed working pattern for the job, maybe you could take advatage of it also!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

happyhippy

Boboff,we are supposed to have appraisals every 3 mths,I've had one in 4 years!!!! Yes I have suggested that if its ok for those two to bunk off whenever they like,perhaps we could all take advantage?Supervisor laughed and said "No its fine,I'll have a word with her"I doubt very much she would of because she's just as guilty of going it as her colleaque.Last time the "friend"bunked off,she told me she was leaving the premises for an unspecified amount of time.I replied "Don't forget to inform the fire warden"(If we leave the building we are supposed to do this and let them know when we leave and return).Friend said she would,so after she left,I checked and nope she did'nt inform the FW!!!!The supervisor leaves work every day at 1pm,so her friend does whatever she likes.She is supposed to leave at 7pm,but I have been told she leaves just after 6pm.Everyone else conforms to times ect except these two.

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Do you work somewhere you could leave her extra work to catch up on? We had someone who would work really slowly, I got so fed up of the rest of us pitching in I ended up looking at what they were supposed to be doing apart from patient care and making extra work for her. Petty, but they annoyed me too much and they were one of the care assistants who wouldn't listen to me as I was only a bank nurse (I was bank but I worked there 40hours a week). If the manager mentioned any work not being done it was always this person at fault.

Of course, friends of bad management can get away with anything so may not help you in the long run.

happyhippy

No we are under the same management but different departments.Everyone in the building knows full well what these two get up to,but no one ever says anything.We have a separate ward manager,but I am afraid to grass them up incase my name comes up and its going to create a really horrible atmosphere.I also know the supervisor is falsifying her holiday entitlement allowance!!!

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

There are two ways of looking at this problem. One is that it is unfair and should be dealt with, the other is how you let it affect you. After all its only a job, you work a set number of hours for money to spend on enjoying life. There is similar unfairness in my job and it used to really wind me up. The only person to suffer was me, so now I just let go, do what is required of me and am a lot happier.

happyhippy

baldybloke wrote:There are two ways of looking at this problem. One is that it is unfair and should be dealt with, the other is how you let it affect you. After all its only a job, you work a set number of hours for money to spend on enjoying life. There is similar unfairness in my job and it used to really wind me up. The only person to suffer was me, so now I just let go, do what is required of me and am a lot happier.
Now that makes alot of good sense!(I live in Wilts too!)

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Wiltshire is wonderful place to live. Been here all my life, man and boy. I can PM my phone number if you want to compare coping stategies.

happyhippy

Thanks baldybloke,are you serious or is that a metaphor like "come to my place and see my etchings lol lol :iconbiggrin: I'm a born wiltshire girl too but got dragged off to Australia by my parents when I was young,stayed for a few years and back in Wiltshire.Yes it is a great place to live.Feel really connected here! On the work front,person in question worked overtime last weekend.She did about 2 hours work in an 8 hr shift.I have reached abit of a turning point though,was spending way too much time at work feeling resentful,now I just think that one day she'll get her come uppance1 :iconbiggrin: