home-brewed cleaners

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

i use bicarb and vinegar for cleaning - and yes, you can buy it in bulk. I think it's the same as baking soda but not sure.

Anyone know where to buy white vinegar in bulk?? Someone on my ivillage board has asked a supplier and they said that it wasn't a good thing because it was made with chemicals and bleach... :shock: but I don't think they have all their facts right.

Anyway - be interesting to hear from the SSISH folks about it.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

AnnetteR
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Muddypause wrote:Is that the same stuff, then? Cleaning soda that comes as crystals, and bicarb? I remember my mum used it to soften the washing water with.
In the US the best known company that packages baking soda for cooking also packages a number of "baking soda" products for cleaning and such. I tried the laundry soap a while back but have never bought any of the other products.

The box I have lists the ingredient as "Sodium Bicarbonate".

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry guys, been in Brisbane!

bicarb or baking soda is sodium bicarbonate or sodium hydrogen carbonate, cleaning soda is soium carbonate and much more alkaline- it also tastes lousy :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

There's a book called 'Clean house, Clean Planet' can'
t remember who its by, but i have a copy, and it has some excellent recipes in it.

Some of them tend to repeat themselves, but there are some class cleaners in there.

I'll dig it out and post a couple at some point...its at the bottom of the stuff in my room at the moment!

I bought it on Amazon for about £6 i think if anyone's interested.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

and, to revive the post again, there's someone on Ebay selling bicarb by the kilo.

They're selling under soapmaking i think...its for bath bombs, but its the same stuff as you use for cleaning.

MrsD'ville
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi. I know this is a really ancient post but I came across it while looking for oven cleaning info, and though I would add the website where you can buy bicarb in up to 10 kg bags. It's called Summer Naturals (www.summernaturals.co.uk) - go to Bulk Basics. The website says it's closed to new orders for the next week as they're having a new site built. I like this bunch as they recycle packaging (as in send you stuff in their old boxes) and generally seem to be in the spirit of the thing. I will admit to 'knowing' via cyberspace the person who runs it but I'm a genuine customer too so this isn't a shameless plug! I hope :oops:
If you can't be a good example, be a dire warning!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I use summer naturals too - I'd highly recommend them, I buy borax, vinegar, EOs and soap making stuff from them.

Good to hear that they are building a new site.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

The Riff-Raff Element

Millymollymandy wrote:But can you put it in a septic tank?!?! And what's it called in French? :mrgreen:
"Boraces" - the septic tank won't mind a bit!

Silver Ether

I buy all mine from this firm
http://www.eco-essentials.co.uk/index.p ... rers_id=38
only I can by it locally, I have also seen it in Boots the Chemist and Wilkinsons have started selling it.

With the above and soap nuts the only cleaning stuff I buy is Washing up liquid and thats only bought because the old fella think thats taking things too far ... :roll: So with that I squeeze a drop about the size of a 10p coin onto a sponge scourer and that does loads ...

For Disinfectant try mixing in a spray bottle water and white vinegar about 60/40% and half pint of mixture as 10 drops of tea tree or lavender oil ... and thats what I have been using for at least 3 years ...

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bicarb is different to baking soda. Baking soda has cornflour in it too.

Theres a book called Clean house Clean Planet. Its got loads of recipes.

On the ingredients side...i wen to T****s the other day (i know i know...) and with their natural cleaners, they had Natural Borax Cleaner and Natural Bicarb Cleaner...and the first was just borax, and the second was just bicarb...i had trouble getting both of them, so it might be handy for anyone else having trouble.

smbm

Andy Hamilton wrote:yep cheers green-girl.

Never sure about Borax though, is it a chemical and is it not pretty dangerous if not handled correctly?
Borax is used as an additive in food, it is E285 I believe, so I imagine it's not great but not really dangerous either.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

ehmmmm I think that 2oz of ingested borax can kill an adult - I'll go and check my sources and report back.... Please don't eat any in the next few minutes.

ETA
http://www.sefsc.noaa.gov/HTMLdocs/SodiumBorate.htm

15 to 20g is potentially leathal, it is illegal as a food additive in USA but is present in some caviars... I wouldn't go adding it to my tea if I were you :wink:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

smbm

Hmm, clearly people shouldn't be eating it in quantity.

I'll have to check E numbers on things more carefully.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I get my bicarb from my mum's local cash and carry; on her card lol. I get my white vinegar there too in gallon containers. as for lemons, I buy ones for eating which are about 16p each, then I buy ones fro cleaning which taste and look like crap, but work really well. they're the ecomony ones in the net bags.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!