Not Quittin' Smoking

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Not Quittin' Smoking

This stuff sounds amazing, what does it do for you? What are the benefits?
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

TheGoodEarth wrote:This stuff sounds amazing, what does it do for you? What are the benefits?
We enjoy it! Like you maybe enjoy a coffee or two.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20414766

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7497037.stm

http://www.forces.org/evidence/hamilton ... oldest.htm

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for the links. However I don't see how this is a benefit.

"Professor Clive Ballard, of the Alzheimer's Society, said: "Although nicotine has therapeutic qualities, when it is absorbed through smoking the health risks outweigh the benefits.

"Smoking increases risk of vascular dementia, the second most common form of dementia and is associated with a number of other health risks. "

???????????
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

TheGoodEarth wrote:Thanks for the links. However I don't see how this is a benefit.

"Professor Clive Ballard, of the Alzheimer's Society, said: "Although nicotine has therapeutic qualities, when it is absorbed through smoking the health risks outweigh the benefits.

"Smoking increases risk of vascular dementia, the second most common form of dementia and is associated with a number of other health risks. "

???????????
I emphasised the important bit.

Apart from which I think I could perfectly truthfully say much the same kind of thing about cream cakes and the automobile.

Even so, no-one is arguing about the deleterious effects of smoking, but more the possible benefits of replacing it with a sllghtly less harmful habit.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

southeast-isher

It's about harm reduction not quit or die. No one is suggesting a non-smoker take up the habit - hence the title of the thread.
Last edited by southeast-isher on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southeast-isher

TheGoodEarth wrote:Thanks for the links. However I don't see how this is a benefit.
I suspected you were being disingenuous.

southeast-isher

Boboff, you need to store all your snus in the fridge.

boboff

OK thanks! In my Man drawer at the minute!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

southeast-isher

Okay well put them in the fridge. They will be much fresher that way. And if you have more than say 2 open put the rest in the freezer. (when you come to defrost them put them in the fridge to defrost)

southeast-isher

What i say to people is if you can give up tobacco then do it, with no hesistation. But it's not quite that easy so instead of possibly condemning yourself to a life of misery i like to let people know there are (much) less harmful alternatives out there. But quitting or preferably not starting in the first place is no doubt the healthiest option.

boboff

Agreed, I am the same about Radish, I just wish I hadn't been forced into that first nibble!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

southeast-isher

Hey Boboff, is snus isn't your thing maybe nasal snuff is more up your street? Just saw they ran a story on it in the Daily Mail a while back and even they endorse it!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... smoke.html

boboff

Thanks, but I am forever picking as it is, doing it and getting brown bits, would not be condusive to a happy marraige.

Well I managed a day on the Snus, and not smoking, it was actually fine. Just need to get used to changing them more often, having "void" periods etc etc.

Sat here now with Tea, no early morning fag, and no Snus as yet, Ah well lets see how it goes.

Nature has really helped in that yesterday I noticed the Golden Virginia has really come on strong!

southeast-isher

When you quit cigarettes and go on nicotine patches etc they tell you to chuck your fags and lighters away in the evening and have your last smoke at night then wake up and start with a patch on. Well, when switching to snus it is a lot more relaxed. The amount of nicotine you get is not less like it is with patches etc so with snus you can flit between the two quite easily at first until you are ready to snus all the way should you decide that's what you want to do. It is supposed to be fun. Not like when you switch to those patches which don't give you the MAOIs!

boboff

Agreed, and thanks again.

Where do you get yours from? Again being new and not knowing what I will use, I now have started the wondering when I will run out and how long it takes to get more, and I have heard customs can impound deliveries etc etc.

I have decided I prefer the strong mint big bags!