Peas from Real Seeds

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

Peas from Real Seeds

I know there are some Real Seed fans here, but I'm not managing to get clear information from Real Seeds that I need on their peas. So has anyone grown the following peas from Real Seeds, Oska, Telephone or Champion of England ?

Oska if sown in mid-Feb, when can you expect it to start cropping, 1st week of May or earlier and for how long ?

Telephone and Champion if sown end of April, do they both start cropping mid-July and continue to end of August or later ?

Any other comments on them ?

Thanks

darkbrowneggs
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Peas from Real Seeds

Grew them all this year, though I have grown telephone before as well

OK in general - Telephone didnt want to get started at all, maybe too dry, eventually it has got going but probably not going to be a wonderful crop

Oska OK sweet peas to eat, and the pigeons certianly LOVED the plants. Reasonable crop pods very full up to 9 good size peas but because of scimitar shape a little more difficult to pod.

Champion of England got going quick, but was in fresh compost so perhaps unfair advantage. Those big growing plants are a nightmare to protect from the pigeons. Nice sweet peas, good sized pods and reasonable crop.

Also grew their Giant Mange Tout which is ok but again problem to protect and then you can,t pick then easily

All were planted on same day, as last year I finally managed to get some sort of succession going, and all that happened was that the ones planted early but in succession matured pretty well the same time anyway, and the ones planted late got TERRIBLE mildew

Next year I shall go back to my usual routine. Oregan Surgar Pod and Sugar Anne in the polytunnel then more planted outside and Hurst Greenshaft out in the garden for peas for eating and the freezer.

Hope that helps
Sue

grahamhobbs

thanks Sue, I had been toying with the tall varieties thinking they might crop over a longer period, seems that the difference is not significant and outweighed by the disadvantages.
Oska is advertised as very, very early, I guess you didn't find it that special.
I also go for an extra early crop with an overwintered pea in the polytunnel. I also like Oregon Sugar pod and Hurst Greenshaft.
In looking on the web to answer my queries I came across a pea nut, Daughter of the Soil, very interesting blog.

kit-e-kate
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've got some Greenshaft in for the second year in a row. They really are terrific and I'm almost ready to pick my first lot! Very exciting! I've also grown some Balmoral this year, apparently they can be sown quite late to extend your pea season that way. :icon_smile:

wulf

I've been growing 'Hatif d'Annonay' from Real Seeds - those have been cropping well since May and are still going.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

If you're having problems with any of their seeds Graham you should let them know.

A few years back we bought some quinoa from them, nothing germinated but we thought it was just our lack of knowledge so didn't do anything. A couple of months later we received a free replacement packet from them as others had complained and they'd realised it was a duff batch. So they must have gone through their sales orders for this item and replaced everyone's!

I can't fault them on customer service.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Can't agree more: Customer service is superb. I also got a replacement for a package of a variety which they had't realized was pretty critical with its sowing conditions. Several customers reported poor germination (as had I) and I could choose another package of seeds.

I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out with suggestions for which variety to sow a what time.

I had Champion of England this year and it is already over and done with. I liked the peas and thought I had a good crop. But my experience with peas is extremely limited...

darkbrowneggs
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

grahamhobbs wrote:Oska is advertised as very, very early, I guess you didn't find it that special.
As I say all planted same day - they are ready now, and for a week or so, but the Mange Tout and Sugar Ann were much quicker, and I am happy with peas of any description, not bothered if they are shelled peas. From memory the hurst greenshaft were superior, though possibly (again can't remember) not so quick, but if that's the case I would rather eat up the mange tout and sugarsnap, then go onto the shelled peas, as I don't really want them all cropping together anyway.

All the best
Sue

grahamhobbs

Thanks everyone. Real Seeds may be good with returns but I found them incapable of answering specific questions like if I plant their pea Oskar in mid-Feb when will it be ready to harvest. Given it is advertised as a very, very early pea you would have thought that was a bit of basic information they could supply, which is a shame because otherwise what they are doing is inspired.
Anyway Daughter of the Soil, who writes this beautiful blog, on growing,trialling and breeding her own peas, is not that impressed with their peas except the yellow coloured mange tout. So for the moment I'll give that one a go and stick to the favourites, Feltham First, Kelvedon Womder and Hurst Greenshaft.