old aga/rayburn solid fuel cookers

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
LandDownUnder
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: old aga/rayburn solid fuel cookers

G'day
When we moved into our house there was an old rusty Aga type wood burner in a tin shed which the person we bought the house off said she used to boil horse feed on ? i was going to chuck it on the scrap heap but only due to the sheer weight of it did i decide it could stay, which is unusual for me as i will hoard anything........well it may come in handy lol, anyway i cleaned it up as best as was achievable and when we have barbies i throw some logs on and crank it up and boil up the tatty ash, yep we have the sausages etc but the English in me still makes sure theres some decent tatty ash available.

Tasmanianclassicchef
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Facebook Name: philip adorian

Hi everyone Just wondered if there would be any pictures of your Rayburn builds or finished projects.

Please and thankyou.

bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Ooh so jealous, the rented house we are moving from has a Stanley - I love it. Best pizza I have ever cooked if you put it on the bottom stone of the oven, and amazing flatbreads on the top hotplates.

It is oil though, so can't comment on solid wood, but sounds like a brilliant idea if you are disciplined about keeping it going.

Plus cats and dogs like to sleep next to it :-)
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Never take an aga or stanley stove apart ....... jus saying, they never want to go back together, the heat makes the metal do strange stuff

Tasmanianclassicchef
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

well my Rayburn has to come apart, 32years on a homestead, now bound for my chef cave :) the flue box lower casting has cracked and broken because of years of water ingress so the engineering shop right across the road are going to add some much needed love in the form of iron to the old lady... at the moment I have started to pull it down without any major warping problems to the main frame of the 212sf. Stay tuned I will post progress pictures to the rebuild.

Tasmanianclassicchef
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

front door panel casting can stay on just the top is getting removed... so I won't have any majors, I will also replace all rope seals through out and all firebricks, and helpful hints would be grand!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I doubt it would warp if it was only used with wood. Some coal types would do it though.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin