Grape vineleaves

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
MClan
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Grape vineleaves

Hi

We went for a walk today and in a very shady spot I found a vine which looked like a grapevine. There didn't appear to be any grapes on it and I couldn't see the little tendrils hanging down. The shape of the leaf though appears right for grapevine. It felt a bit prickly/thorny on the back of the leaf. Now if I could only work out how to post photos from my IPhone! I would love to make some dolmades. Does it sound likely?

Karen

MClan

Re: Grape vineleaves

I have attempted to load onto photobucket whilst walking round with son who won't sleep. Here goes.

http://m1198.photobucket.com/linkcodes/ ... 8TxJnmekz5

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, it looks like a grapevine leaf to me - but then I don't know that much about identification of vines. On the other hand, it seems an odd thing to find in the middle of nowhere.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

MClan

It was near a touristy spot with hotels and very expensive holiday homes. Had a view of a Ferrari whilst picking. Honestly we seriously lowered the tone lol.

DrewShiel
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 53.37186
longitude: -6.59566

I was shown a grape vine growing wild (or at least feral) on the south coast of Ireland a few years back, so it's not completely impossible.

That leaf looks grape-vine-like to me, certainly, but I'd try for more reliable identification before eating it. If you can get a picture of the plant in situ, then someone might be able to have a better guess at it?

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

It looks like it, but a pic of the plant, as Drew says, would help. I've found grape vines in the past. They do self-seed and the birds help. The only thing that makes me worry is the lack of grapes. It should have some by this time of year. Zoe

that_sarah_girl
Tom Good
Tom Good

MClan wrote:Hi

We went for a walk today and in a very shady spot I found a vine which looked like a grapevine. There didn't appear to be any grapes on it and I couldn't see the little tendrils hanging down. The shape of the leaf though appears right for grapevine. It felt a bit prickly/thorny on the back of the leaf. Now if I could only work out how to post photos from my IPhone! I would love to make some dolmades. Does it sound likely?

Karen
I don't know much about identification, but my parents have a grapevine in their garden. There's no grapes on it, but I love dolmades...do you have a good recipe or know how to prepare the leaves? The receipes I've come across use ready-preserved leaves.

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

What a great idea - my neighbour has a grapevine (complete with grapes) overhanging my garden. I hadn't considered dolmades but do like them. I too would love to know how to make them and what to do with underipe grapes too.

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.