Oh Chuffing-hell!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
spider8
A selfsufficientish Regular

Oh Chuffing-hell!

My wonderful hubby has gone and broken his leg. He was on a small island with a group of other bird ringers when he slipped and fell and snap! I wasn't there when it happened, I just got the phone call from Dave at the hospital and they've put a temporary plaster on it for now. It was badly swollen so they decided he'd have the weekend to rest it and then they'll have a look tomorrow morning and decide what to do about it. He works from home so can't get out of work which is probably a good thing 'cos he'd be bored silly. Six weeks of a grumpy hubby to wait on hand and foot..........but it could have been a hell of a lot worse and I'm so glad it wasn't :hugish: .
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Oh Chuffing-hell!

Hope he mends well - stock up on comfrey to help it mend :hugish:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Milims

Oh my! Hope he's all better soon and doesn't drive you mad in the meantime! :lol:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

red

uhoh

hope he mends super fast!
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

My sympathies - but don't fall for the grumpy bit. A good bit of plastering, a week's rest, and he can do most things, if in a hopalong kind of way :lol:

Don't tell him I've grassed him up!!!

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Big Al

Milims wrote:Oh my! Hope he's all better soon and doesn't drive you mad in the meantime! :lol:

Ow, think of the poor bloke having to put up with rations from the wife and the fact that SHE will think she is in charge......

Come on boboff where are you there is a man in distress here !!
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Shirley

poor fella - hope it's a speedy recovery.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Oh no poor thing. My sympathies to him as well!

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for both of you.

Zoe

Mallimak
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi everyone

Spider8's hubby here. Many thanks for your kind words and thoughts, they are all much appreciated.

Don't worry Mike I'm not the grumpy sort, I always smile in the face of adversity, it makes people wonder what you are up to. Your grassing has been noted :wink:

Hopefully it will be good news tomorrow and all I will need is a full plaster cast otherwiseit will be an op to pin it alls bacl together :pale:

I'm sure Spider8 will keep you all posted on progress.

My thanks to Spider8 for her love and care :hugish: , oh and the brews :iconbiggrin:
Nobody notices what I do until I don't do it.

little blue duck
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

get well wishes Mallimac,
and Spider8, don't spoil him too much (rod for your own back and all that!!)
:icon_smile:

spider8

Thanks everyone. It will make a change for me to be helping Dave more as he's usually making sure I'm okay as I have so many medical problems. He's not the kind to take advantage and I'll have a job to keep him down and resting the leg :roll: . We're so lucky to have so many lovely friends and neighbours who have all offered us help and tonight a neighbour has been shopping for some essentials, you know - baked beans, milk, crisps, chocolate biscuits! I can't drive but there must be at least eight people who would help........oh, I'm getting all watery-eyed :roll: . We're just hoping he won't have to be flown down to Aberdeen to have any metal work added but the break is a clean one so perhaps it'll be okay. I know this isn't an earth-shatteringly terrible injury but it makes you thank your lucky stars nevertheless.

midi
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

That's awful..poor bloke. I've only ever broken one bone in my life (my wrist many moons ago) The pain!! I sort of know what you womenfolk go through..y'know,.birthin' Take it easy fella. M

Millymollymandy

Sorry Mallimak - what a nuisance and I hope you don't have much pain to go with it. It's very hard to do anything when on crutches if you can't put your foot down so really there's not a lot you can do but rest (and do a bit of work on the computer!). I hope it will heal quickly and that you don't have to have an op. Take care both of you xx.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Graye

Oh dear, bad luck! I broke mine in April and discovered

1) I am NOT adept at crutches, in fact I'm dangerous to myself and anyone else in my vicinity
2) depending on which part of your leg you have broken they should give you a fibreglass cast after 10 days or so and encourage you to walk on it, with a crutch if necessary
3) It will swell horribly at night, try to keep the leg raised.
4) Despite all the legislation, things are not easy for people in wheelchairs, lowered pavements still have enormous lips which will tip you out, hotels who say they have disabled accommodation are often paying lip-service to requirements and even premises with ramps etc have door springs which are impossible to deal with. Buy some huge plastic bags and gaffer tape so you can get in the shower, also the hospital should give you a stool to use in there, again it's difficult without.
5) It will look scary when you have the plaster off (mine had two sets of stitches too as I had plates and pins) but the sheer skinniness of ithe leg was a surprise too.
6) You will not immediately take off walking once the plaster is off, the leg gets tired and swollen easily and you will feel over-protective of it. Give it some time to sort itself out.

Having said all that after three months mine is fine; I only limp occasionally and can stop doing it if I think about it. It does swell still and I have a very weird brown skin stain around the break which is apparently iron deposits from the blood pooling though. You will also discover that people are generally really helpful and chatty when you are in the wheechair or on crutches!
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

spider8

Thanks all and Graye for the advice etc. We went this morning and all they did was remove the temp plaster and have a look. His ankle is still quite swollen so they did it back up and said come back on Wednesday and they'd decide then. He has to keep it raised and keep off his feet but we were hoping to have some sort of result today, oh well. I had a look at the x-ray and it is his fibula that's knackered, right down near his ankle.