I think I'll.......

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

I think I'll.......

Give London a miss tonight!!.. and birmingham and bristol, and nottingham and manchester........
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I think I'll.......

Just another benefit of living in a city. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

SouthernDave
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Hysterical! :thumbright: :mrgreen:

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Very good.

What's even better is being there with a camera running at that precise moment. Well done.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

I think I'll....hide in the bathroom and lock the door if there's another riot outside my flat tonight. It was more than just a bit scary :pale: At least there should be nothing left to smash or burn. They destroyed it all last night. :shock: On the upside they did torch tesc0s.
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

zaxdog
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Oh you poor thing Nomada. Where do you live? Is it perhaps possible for you to go and stay with friends in another area until the vile creatures are rounded up?

Sending you hugs and hoping things will improve there :hugish:

Can't imagine anything like that happening here :shock:

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Liverpool, Zaxdog. I hate them, they weren't even from around here but they came from all over to smash us up because this was were the last riot took place. The people in this area have spent the last 20 years trying to get back to normal after that and shake off the reputation now they've destroyed everything again. There was no need for it. At least there were underlying issues last time, people were angry for varous reasons but these people don't have a cause, they're just doing it for fun. I don't understand why they targeted peoples homes. They were putting bricks trough windows. We're not rich round here, we're mostly just trying our best and struggling. At least they left the local shop alone and focused their attention on the supermarket. I'm so angry I could cry.
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm thinking of going back to my parents but my partner wont leave the flat and I don't want to leave him.

SouthernDave

zaxdog wrote: the vile creatures are rounded up?

I am not defending their actions, but vile? They are only people same as you or me. The whole situation is daft and I don't understand smashing up people's homes, but personally I fear the repercussions more than the riots. More civil liberties will be lost, more draconian 'punishments' meted out to those who can least afford it.

For me the real criminals and crooks are in suits running the big businesses and the state, but that's a whole new discussion......

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

I actually do agree Southern Dave, these people are idiots, I mean who sh*ts where they eat but I also don't want to live in a police state. There's talk of curfews and things, it's slippery slope.

zaxdog
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

In a democracy though the way to change things that are not acceptable is through voting, which I notice a lot of people who complain about the way the government functions do not bother with.

Firebombing homes, stealing, beating up people, attacking the police, mugging kids..... these things are truely vile in my opinion and nothing to do with an underlying issue in London. Just some scumbags who want to break the law and terrorise others for fun.

Nomada I hope you and your partner stay safe and I am sure your community will rally round to get things back on track when these criminals have been flushed out :hugish:

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

SouthernDave wrote:
zaxdog wrote: the vile creatures are rounded up?

I am not defending their actions, but vile? They are only people same as you or me. The whole situation is daft and I don't understand smashing up people's homes, but personally I fear the repercussions more than the riots. More civil liberties will be lost, more draconian 'punishments' meted out to those who can least afford it.

For me the real criminals and crooks are in suits running the big businesses and the state, but that's a whole new discussion......
I am also with southern Dave. "These people" are so angry and lashing out destroying those things that are beyond them ( or so they think) that learned helplessness is really poisoning some young people. But I acknowledge it is not my stuff being destroyed or me having to live through it. love and hugs to those who are.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

SouthernDave

As I said, I don't agree with much of what's happened over the last few days but some of it, if not all of it, is understandable even if it is unpalatable.

I have just been reading elsewhere a blog which does show a differnt light on things:

"In one NBC report, a young man in Tottenham was asked if rioting really achieved anything: "Yes," said the young man. "You wouldn't be talking to me now if we didn't riot, would you?" "Two
months ago we marched to Scotland Yard, more than 2,000 of us, all
blacks, and it was peaceful and calm and you know what? Not a word in
the press. Last night a bit of rioting and looting and look around you." Eavesdropping
from among the onlookers, I looked around. A dozen TV crews and
newspaper reporters interviewing the young men everywhere ‘’’ There
are communities all over the country that nobody paid attention to
unless there had recently been a riot or a murdered child. Well, they’re
paying attention now"

The trouble is that people just blindly swallow whatever the hell is pumped out by Sky News, the BBC and the major red-top press like the Sun without ever having to try and think for themselves and ask why such activities are going on or where the underlying causes are. There are many issues here and probably not the place to discuss them, but the real truth is certainly a long way from whatever is being portrayed in the media at the current time.

The repercussions however will be real enough, so will the grinning politicians reaping the rewards of such 'swift action' in the face of adversary. So much so in fact I wonder whether some of the disturbances are in fact the work of agent provocateurs.....

Either way we as a class lose.

happyhippy

Who cares what the reasons behind it are.They should not be commiting crimes and causing havoc to prove a point.The only point they're proving is that they're idiots.Are they now going to gain employment with a crim record? :angryfire: Truly feel sorry for the victims in all this.