Lids?

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Rich.H
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Lids?

Realised just now that while I tend to reuse and recycle all my jars and bottles, the lids from these still end up in the bin. This includes lids from glass jars with twist on caps, plastic milk bottle lids, cordial bottle lids and so on. Anyone got any ideas what to do with any of these lids?

MEL78
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Lids?

a couple of years ago there was a local boy with special needs and his family were collecting the plastic milk tops for fund raising...not sure how they were getting money from them though but might be worth looking in to....maybe if you freecycle the jars with lids for people to make jam .....

Lentil
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I make jam & use the jars with safety button lids for quick bottling of fruit etc. but the lids wear out before the jars, spare lids are useful to people like me & save storing every jar you get, just in case.

Also the metal lids should be taken out of your landfill garbage before burying, by using a strong magnet: They would then be recycled, as they are made of steel. This is done by most councils I think :-)

pelmetman
A selfsufficientish Regular

I suppose you could thread them up and hang them from trees/bushes as bird scarers :iconbiggrin:

We save all our plastic milk bottle tops, my sister knows someone who collects them and gets money for the brownies/scouts, so there are obviously charities out there that make use of them.

Sue :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I save plastic lids then pop them into my planters and hanging baskets (upside-down) where they trap water for the plant roots. Just don't use lids from nasty chemicals.

Otherwise, we can recycle plastic and metal lids through our kerb-side recycling. Ask at your local tip, maybe they can do the same.

Zoe

gregorach

They ask you to remove the lids so that the bottles crush down - the lids themselves are mostly recyclable though.
Cheers

Dunc