Flu jab during pregnancy

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Helsbells
A selfsufficientish Regular

Flu jab during pregnancy

So I am 16 weeks pregnant! Yey!!

I have been told by my midwife to get booked in for the flu jab, particularly as a teacher because I am more exposed to risk.

So what do I do? Is it safe? Is anyone aware of any risk involved in having/not having the jab? any women out there had it during pregnancy? Or pregnant now and had it?

I have had some heavy bleeding during my pregnancy, so it has been an uncertain time.

Advice needed? Really want to do the best thing for my baby.

Helen

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Flu jab during pregnancy

Can't offer any advice, I'm afraid, except I hope that midwives wouldn't recommend it if there was considered to be any risk!

But I did want to offer my congratulations, well done Helen (and OH):cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
I understand your apprehension, I also work with primary children and having had 4 miscarriages was really unsure what to do. In the end I decided it was worth the risk and had the injection in the first tri. My son is now 7 weeks old and is showing no ill effects.

red

congrats!

cant help on the advice tho
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

thesunflowergal

Oh hellsbells congrats hun,
I personally avoided flu jabs and in my last pregnancy the swine flu jab.
I hope the rest of your pregnancy is safe and boring!!
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Many congratulations!!! I had my flu jab when I was pregnant and it had no adverse effects on me :geek: and considering I have since discovered I have a heart condition I'm glad I did it as I'm one of those folks with "underlying health issues". I also work in a high risk area adult day services so it was more than worth while doing - but that is, of course, just my own personal opinion xx :iconbiggrin:

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

massive congratulations helen, fwiw i like nikki was pregnant round the time the first push for the swine flu jabs were happening, i suppose i was lucky that i was far enough along to say in all honesty if i was ill baby could come early so didnt have to risk it.

have you go any underlying problems that could make flu worse for you? as that would sway me iyswim, i've not had any vax in any of my 4 pregnancies, but that said i also saw a close friend be very very ill during her pregnancy due to swine flu so i having seen that would be more likely to accept it if i got pregnant agsin

heres to a happy and healthy24 weeks x
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

Dr.Syn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

What does the Doctor Say?
Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.
Blog http://fredarth.wordpress.com/
Die dulci fruere.

Helsbells

Thanks everyone for your replies, and congratulations!!

I have a dr appointment next week Tuesday so will discuss it with her then, but I have a feeling that she will just say that it's up to me.

I don't have any underlying health issues that I am aware of that would make flu worse, only that I feel I am more at risk working in a school.

I think I am probably going to get the jab because I haven't read anything too terrible about it, my main concern is that it could effect me having had the heavy bleeding that I got a few weeks ago. Hubby says he thinks I should get it as it seems risk of flu during pregnancy outweights risks associated with the jab.

Thanks for the feedback, will keep you all posted.

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi there

Big Congratulations :)

I opted out of the flu jab for my last 3 pregnancies. I was given the flu jab at work 4 years ago when I had just started trying for a baby, my period was late but I hadn't tested. I turned out I was pregnant and miscarried :(. I am not blaming the jab but explaining my reasoning. They won't give the jab in the first trimester anyway so I should not of had it. I was unfortunate enough for catch a very nasty flu in my last pregnancy lasting 3 weeks and even causing me a night in hospital due to chest pain and breathing difficulties but my little girl is perfect so no long term harm done. I believe it was the swine flu that I had - I even lost about half astone in weight.
I think if I was to have anymore babies (I'm not) I would still opt out. You can only do what is right for you

good luck

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

i got the flu jab last year when i was pregnant. had no side effects whatsoever. you should definetly get it if your doctor/midwife is recommending it. better safe than sorry, that goes for all vaccines.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

There's been loads of replies to your post but I thought I'd add mine! :iconbiggrin:

I have a 7 month old son, we are both fine. I had the flu jab when I was pregnant with him.

I had had two miscarriages after my first son before this pregnancy. I found the flu jab was quick, relatively painless and I didn't notice any affect of it.

Congratulations on your pregnancy :cheers:

Helsbells

Nice to see this thread return. I did get the flu jab in the end because I felt it was too much of a risk not to as I work in a school.
The experience of getting it done was horrible though. I went to a sort of flu jab clinic and was put on a conveyor belt of people walking past two nurses who were doing the jabs. All these people were just walking up, rolling up their sleeve and getting the injection done without even sitting down. I wanted to be able to talk to the nurse about it a bit before getting it done but because of this conveyor belt system I didn't feel I could so just started to cry!! Luckily the nurse took me to a separate room because I was so upset so I got to ask my questions and get the jab in my own time. But it was a most unpleasant this before that.

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

i got mine from my GP and we discussed the risks and everything beforehand. he said no one has reacted badly to the jab but it was possible to have a soar arm on the site of the injection. i didnt have any pain or side effects at all.

i suppose they are doing mass vaccinations and need to get through as quickly as possible so to avoid another outbreak like last time.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'