Bees...

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
jazzmini1959
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 51.4795
longitude: -2.5493

Bees...

This week, I counted 19 visiting honey bees on my sedum spectabile (Ice Plant) - it's the little things in life that make me happy :icon_smile:

Durgan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Bees...

jazzmini1959 wrote:This week, I counted 19 visiting honey bees on my sedum spectabile (Ice Plant) - it's the little things in life that make me happy :icon_smile:
Bees. What are they? I don't imagine I counted 19 all summer. The lack of bees is of some concern. I have most of the plants that attract them and don't use insecticides.

Millymollymandy

Tht's a real shame Durgan. :( My garden is full of them for months on end; all sorts of bees. Here's a couple of pics I took 31 August of my Sedum.

boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't get too many honey bees here, I don't think there is a hive within several miles so all the ones I do see are wild ones.
BUT, I have loads of bumble bees everywhere taking their place, in fact I found two bumble bee nests in my orchard this year.
I have seen bumble bee nests before that were just a hole in a bank, but these bees had constructed a nest that looked like a heap of grass cuttings about the size of a small football ... never seen that before.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

prison break fan

Odsox, I have two nest of bumble bees in my compost heaps, will they disappear? Need advice! pbf.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

prison break fan wrote:Odsox, I have two nest of bumble bees in my compost heaps, will they disappear? Need advice! pbf.
I don't know for sure, but as bumble bees don't make honey they probably are the same as wasps, in other words they probably all die except a few queen types that hibernate.
I expect someone will prove me wrong. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

prison break fan

Thanks odsox, I'm hoping the first frosts will see them off! I wouldn't mind anywhere else, but I need my compost. pbf.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Erm, Mandy, I hate to break it to you but your second photo is a butterfly, not a bee. :lol:

Zoe

pelmetman

Nice Bee & butterfly pictures MMM................shame no stripes on the lawn :mrgreen:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Durgan

Millymollymandy.

Lovely pictures. I must grow sedum next year.

Millymollymandy

Well Zoe you'll have to come to Brittany to see the Great Peacock Bee here. :mrgreen:

Pelmetman, stripes in lawns, I don't think that works when your 'lawn' is composed of mainly weeds. :lol: I'm just pleased it is green!

And thanks Durgan.

Merry

We`ve got a bee problem on our allotment site, i.e. a plot holder who goes hysterical if any honey bees go near her! There are hives on a neighbouring plot and they`ve never been any bother. I got a three page letter from the hysterical one reporting a 'sustained and vicious attack' on her and her dog by a mob of bees and demanding that the committee operate their 'duty of care'. When asked, she confirmed that she hadn`t actually been stung but 'could have been'. I reassured her that they were prolly a mob of expelled drones and that she`d been in no danger but she just kept repeating that she 'could have been'. A beekeeper down the other end of the site has had to take her bees off her plot because of constant complaints from other plot holders about 'imminent and possible dangers'. I`m at my witzend! The bee haters are always the loudest voices. I dread the AGM when I reckon there`ll be a claque of protesters demanding a no-bee rule.
We are stardust, we are golden, and we`ve got to get ourselves back to the garden.

Millymollymandy

Blimey! :shock: Although I am very wary of wasps because I get a really nasty reaction to their stings; bees I don't worry about one bit. I'm always picking raspberries with them buzzing around me, and one year when I was putting down jam for the ants who were milking the aphids on the broad beans, I had swarms of bees attracted to the jam. I just carried on gardening/picking broad beans with loads of bees all around me, and we both just got on with our thang and they were not interested in stinging me. :iconbiggrin:

Merry

That`s been my experience too. The same hives swarmed last year and they just swarmed around me and moved on to a nearby tree.
We are stardust, we are golden, and we`ve got to get ourselves back to the garden.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

How very stupid and ignorant, you should point out "no bees, no runner beans" or broad beans, or strawberries, or apples, or plums, or a host of other crops that need pollination to fruit, but especially runner beans as I bet that's what they grow.
Short sighted or what ?
Tony