Has the world gone completely mad?

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Has the world gone completely mad?

MKG, perhaps you are right in this case, but where volunteers are replacing paid workers, I think there should be 'open book' accounts, so that if the work makes a profit (beyond covering deprecation/investment, etc) that profit should go back in some way to the community.

The problem is that many services are facing cut backs, volunteers are taking over libraries, meals on wheels, etc, etc and the newspapers are full of ads for voluntary work, it is clearly expanding as paid work is declining. I am fully in favour of people doing things for their community, but of course, people cannot live on voluntary work.

I read today that 8 of the biggest construction firms are looking for up to 35% wage cuts for some skilled trades. Fortunately the bankers still seem to be rolling in money and providing us with lots of work.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green Aura wrote:Are all these volunteer PSV owners that are available redundant bus drivers?
No - they're big boys, for goodness sake!! :iconbiggrin:

They either already held a PSV or they've since qualified. What they have in common is that they just like the idea of driving a bus. Like trains, really. Or helicopter pilots.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

I thought green aura was being cynical about the loss of jobs because the bus company has withdrawn the service!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

grahamhobbs wrote:MKG, perhaps you are right in this case, but where volunteers are replacing paid workers, I think there should be 'open book' accounts, so that if the work makes a profit (beyond covering deprecation/investment, etc) that profit should go back in some way to the community.

The problem is that many services are facing cut backs, volunteers are taking over libraries, meals on wheels, etc, etc and the newspapers are full of ads for voluntary work, it is clearly expanding as paid work is declining. I am fully in favour of people doing things for their community, but of course, people cannot live on voluntary work.

I read today that 8 of the biggest construction firms are looking for up to 35% wage cuts for some skilled trades. Fortunately the bankers still seem to be rolling in money and providing us with lots of work.
Under any other circumstances I would agree with your sentiments, Graham. But this is a case of being faced with a fait accompli - the service was about to be cut, stone dead. The bus company cannot possibly be taking in the same amount of money they did before, otherwise there wouldn't be this caffuffle - the council would have simply carried on paying. But I have no doubt that the presence of the volunteers makes it still worth that company's while - it's that, or nothing, as far as the money's concerned. But it's also a "that, or nothing" situation for the service users, and this, as far as I can see, is the only solution to the problem which could work. There were a lot of non-car pensioners eager to line up to tell the world how much the service meant to them and, at least as far as I'm concerned, a single pensioner being able to use such a service is worth far more than any amount of politicking.

Mike

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Is there HRT for men?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Deary me- I did type some drivel last night after Mum's birthday party. So I deleted it all this morning.

Note to self ... mucho red wine, mucho rubbish spouted.

Mike

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

MKG wrote:Deary me- I did type some drivel last night after Mum's birthday party. So I deleted it all this morning.

Mike
Really? In vino veritas and all that? :shock: :rabbit: :lol:
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I prefer my mother's version - wine's in, wit's out! :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

pelmetman

MKG wrote:Deary me- I did type some drivel last night after Mum's birthday party. So I deleted it all this morning.

Mike
Spoil sport :mrgreen: .............note to self...... get up earlier to check MKG posts :lol:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

boboff

I saw them.... just lots of random posts about loving everyone........
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nah - that goes without saying. Everyone on here knows I love 'em without me writing it.

Mike

grahamhobbs

MKG wrote:..............................
Under any other circumstances I would agree with your sentiments, Graham. But this is a case of being faced with a fait accompli - the service was about to be cut, stone dead. ............................. at least as far as I'm concerned, a single pensioner being able to use such a service is worth far more than any amount of politicking.

Mike
I am not in disagreement with you, I just like to put things into their context and encourage people to think about the economic and historical background to these things. The Big Society is a nice idea, people helping each other, working for and involved in the community, etc. But let's face that is not why the Tories are promoting it. Unemployment is growing, wages are under attack, services are being cut and if they can get people to work for nothing..........meanwhile the rich get richer, top Americans saw their incomes rise by 12% last year, whilst the queues for the soup kitchens get longer and longer.

boboff

Well they shouldn't keep running out of soup then!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

grahamhobbs

You ask has the world gone mad ? Check this BBC video out

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/poll ... sfeed=true
Last edited by grahamhobbs on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gregorach

grahamhobbs wrote:You ask has the world gone mad ? Check this out

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/poll ... sfeed=true
Loving the options on that poll! :icon_smile:
Cheers

Dunc