Wood stoves for heating efficiency

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
rstorrs
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Wood stoves for heating efficiency

I've noticed that wood stoves are some of the most efficient means to heat your home or business. Pellet stoves have also become popular recently because of their ease of use and their ability to burn multiply types of fuels such as corn, wheat, and bio mass products. With oil prices remaining high it makes sense to heat with wood and it doesn't have the carbon impact of fossil fuels.

pelmetman
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Wood stoves for heating efficiency

Your preaching to the converted here :mrgreen:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

dave45

If you can use scrap wood, its even better :-)
I get scrap pallets from the local builder's yard... its a lot of work processing them but its a great feeling heating your house from free scrap.

Pallets burn rather quickly though. And I get LOADS of manky nails in the ash that have to be extracted with magnets (recycled from old hard disk drives !)

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

we heat our whole house and cook on woodburning stoves. we've got a big wood burning cooker in the kitchen and wee wood burners in the bed rooms. they heat up much more than radiators, its defonetly more efficient.
we live in macedonia and the majority of people heat/cook on wood burners. electricity is expencive and i want to build a wood oven in the garden so we can uses it during the summer months when its too hot to have it on inside. we already use the BBQ a lot.

we have this in the kitchen to cook on and it heats the whole living area: http://www.plamen.hr/Proizvod.aspx?ProdID=3
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'