trespassing to forage

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.

pick some?

yes
50%
no
36%
only after dark
No votes
wear a hoodie and scarf
No votes
I'll tell on you
14%

Total votes: 14

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: trespassing to forage

snapdragon wrote:
Hedgerows (to me) are people's property, parks are the property of someone or organisation, all land in GB is owned by someone - even commons are not common to everybody, so how and where in this land does anyone 'forage for free'?
it is an interesting question.

as i say im ok with foraging from country lanes - road side. technically its someones hedge but i dont see it being a problem.
you dont need to buy foreign apples though. i know lots of folk giving away apples right now - several houses in my village have a box outside their doors with a 'please help yourself' sign - and there are pleas for people to come and pick via freecycle etc. perhaps you should ask on freecycle?
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

It surely has to be a matter of common sense. It is, in the main, obvious if something is on PRIVATE as opposed to "private" property. If it's in my orchard, for instance, you'd have to get through a gate or two and walk across a lawn to get to the apples. In the case of the apple tree on railway property, then there is no chance of the "owner" sending out teams of people to harvest any fruit growing wild on that property, in which case (as long as basic safety is observed) I think it perfectly reasonable - sensible, in fact - to pick the fruit. Hedgerows do belong to, say, farmers - but once again, they're not going to harvest them and it would take a rather nutty and miserly farmer to object to that, so long as you do it from the road side of the hedge and don't wander onto his field where you may cause some real damage.

I watched two ladies picking pears yesterday - from a tree which was VERY obviously on private property but which has a branch leaning over the wall and so in reach of the roadside. Those ladies, I think, had very much the wrong attitude - I can see it and reach it, therefore it's mine - and it reminded me of this thread.

An intellectual discussion of the morals of the concept of private property is one thing. Harvesting fruit which would otherwise certainly go to waste is another.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

MKG wrote:It surely has to be a matter of common sense. It is, in the main, obvious if something is on PRIVATE as opposed to "private" property. If it's in my orchard, for instance, you'd have to get through a gate or two and walk across a lawn to get to the apples. In the case of the apple tree on railway property, then there is no chance of the "owner" sending out teams of people to harvest any fruit growing wild on that property, in which case (as long as basic safety is observed) I think it perfectly reasonable - sensible, in fact - to pick the fruit. Hedgerows do belong to, say, farmers - but once again, they're not going to harvest them and it would take a rather nutty and miserly farmer to object to that, so long as you do it from the road side of the hedge and don't wander onto his field where you may cause some real damage.

I watched two ladies picking pears yesterday - from a tree which was VERY obviously on private property but which has a branch leaning over the wall and so in reach of the roadside. Those ladies, I think, had very much the wrong attitude - I can see it and reach it, therefore it's mine - and it reminded me of this thread.

An intellectual discussion of the morals of the concept of private property is one thing. Harvesting fruit which would otherwise certainly go to waste is another.

Mike
I would think those ladies have it completely wrrong. Even if you are entitled to cut a branch from a tree that is overhanging your property (the point being YOUR property) the branch still belongs to the owner of the tree and you are obliged to give it back to him!

As for a tree growing besides the railway, I think there is nothing to stop someone using the apples and it is more of a 'crime' imo to let them go to waste.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

There are a lot of public open spaces around here. If you get in quick you can pick fruit and nuts. In that case I don't think there is any need to ask. The land is council owned and maintained for the local people.

I would pick from the road side of hedges etc around fields but I would ask before helping myself to pears that were leaning over a wall from a tree that was obviously in a garden.

As always, don't be greedy, just pick for your own needs.

Zoe

Silver Ether

I would pick ... er thinking about I do :icon_smile: but mine is plums at the moment .. and my thoughts are if any one says anything they are usually fascinated .. and when they maybe the council would prosecute .. I say well wouldn't they look foolish in the paper spending all that money on me picking fruit thats gonna rot ... :dontknow:

and some people are quite happy if you knock the door with a jar of jam for a bag of whatever it is you after :icon_smile: ..
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

countrybumkin
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I always forage out of hedgerows and on public footpaths, i usually find if you want something out of someone's garden i just knock on the door and ask. I've done that plenty of times and always had positive results, even bringing a jar or bottle of whatever i've made, back as a thank you usually secures me to go back next year and do the same again :icon_smile:
I do some of my best thinking while pulling weeds.