Wood from woods!!!

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Wood from woods!!!

I read! Very interesting, thank you. :thumbright:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

poptrem
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

MKG wrote:
poptrem wrote: EDIT: Oh - just one point. An honest politician?
They are an endangered species and deserve conservation, if its not too late already :iconbiggrin:

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thankyou to all who have answered my question.It has been useful and interesting reading all your replies.

scotsmart
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: qwess
longitude: qwwss

Yeah likewise most helpfull in my quest to find out the relative wood pickers laws in Scotland!

(Back to making paper briqquttes then i suppose) :dontknow:

Btw if seeking the details of local landowners (there is a website called who owns Scotland cant remember its http Google it! in that you can research throughout Scotland phone numbers, emails and land addresses to most of our reasonable sized landowners, it costs £5 a month from which i got every Scottish landowners details (as we were at one point seeking an estate cottage prior to finding this one, great resource well worth the £5 and information that doubtless will come in handy again now as i seek to find a decent source of firewood) hope that helps some i know it did us immensely ...

Slanj
Just learning please bear with me, we all have to learn somewhere.
Just because we don't agree, doesn't make me wrong, i state things like i see them, based solely on personal life experiences/fact, and not on forum speak or here say.

http://www.volkswagen-transporter.co.uk FREE VW van community

gray_bale
Tom Good
Tom Good

Yes my woods are covered by a CSS Countryside Stewardship Scheme

As part of my agreement with DEFRA now FERA is that all natural fallen trees must be left laying there, as long as not causing a hazard or is likely to cause a hazard in the future.

Different however if I was to chop a trees down thou, I could take it away.
With 40 years experience the goodlife normally ends up costing money one way or the other, and a bad back ???

Check out http://www.balesfield.co.uk/

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

Listen radio 2 now!!Jeremy Vine is discussing the legalities of fallen trees in the winds and if it legal to cut it up for firewood....Will post outcome later if you didn't listen....
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!

scotsmart
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: qwess
longitude: qwwss

if you could post outcome i would be obliged cant get R2 up here little to know radio coverage around here cheers
Just learning please bear with me, we all have to learn somewhere.
Just because we don't agree, doesn't make me wrong, i state things like i see them, based solely on personal life experiences/fact, and not on forum speak or here say.

http://www.volkswagen-transporter.co.uk FREE VW van community

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well after Jeremy Vine's show on radio 2 there was alot of conflicting facts.The Lawyer they had on said dating back to 16th century the law states that if a tree falls it belongs to the person who's land the root is in,so in the case of a public highway that is so and you should ask the landowner if you can have it,however if the tree or it's branches or fruit falls onto your land you can have it.There were various stories of people being told they could take the wood if it was on the waterways bank as long as you do not tresspass with a vehicle to collect it,to a man dragging a branch home when walking his dog in the local wood being told by a policeman to leave it right there as he was stealing,only for it to stay there for weeks after!!One woman said her husband removed a fallen tree from the road(a day after it fell the council didn't come)he cut it up for firewood then an agressive man knocked to say he represented the landowner a demanded the wood be returned.Also using a chainsaw on woodland sites without public liability insurance also seemed to play a part in the seriousness of the situation.On a final note someone called to say does this mean if we pick berries we are stealing from the landowner??A policeman texted in to say only if you bake a pie and sell it would it be theft, to eat it yourself is ok..........so that was a relief to the ishers community.
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!

Henwoman
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 3° 11' W
longitude: 48° 20' N

I have today dragged a huge fallen branch into my field which was lying partly on the verge and partly on the lane opposite my field entrance. After strong winds there are lots of small and large branches down and the mainly one car lanes are too narrow here to have debris making them even narrower. I take advantage of the situation and bring the ones I can lift onto the field for woodburner kindling and logs. The twiggier bits I shall use for supporting climbing veggies. Most of them are too big for me, as a pathetically weak 5'3" woman of 64, to shift unfortunately.

I am amazed to hear, Mandy, that people are stealing cut and stacked timber. We have loads in the village and I've never known there be a problem, with the low crime rate here in Brittany.