Feeling Anti-Ish

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Feeling Anti-Ish

Was interesting to read the replies! :cheers:

I feel like I've been running round like a headless chook and am going to massively cut back the veggie growing next year so I can concentrate on my non edible garden, which is my first love.

This year too has been exceptionally dry, and we have really battled against the elements. It also started early and the harvest of the good things has been exceptional and I can't bear waste and have ended up with silly amounts of everything, which I feel I HAVE to do things with. For example we've been harvesting apples for 2 months, tomatoes for nearly 4, raspberries I'm still picking since end of May, it just won't stop and I want a ruddy frost to kill the garden off, let me get some daffies planted and then I want to get my knitting out!!! Oh and my pond is at an all time low and the October rains never happened and it doesn't look like the November ones are really coming any time soon so it's all so DEPRESSING. :banghead: :( :( :(

Plus I have a 7 year itch and want to move cos I'm bored with Brittany. :oops:

Maybe I'm just menopausal - I really hope so!!!!!!! :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

bonniethomas06

Thanks all for making me fee SO much better. And don't worry GA, I am fine - have always slept like a log and eaten like a donkey, don't think that will ever change! Am generally relaxed and happy and haven't lost interest in anything else I enjoy, just the creating food bit.

But reading through these, I don't feel so guilty. The other day we went for a meal at freinds in a swanky city apartment in the posh bit of Bristol. Their living room had lovely, comfy sofas that you can just sprawl out in (as opposed to our filthy freecycle one which has wood that nobbles you in the back), clean, fresh carpets, freshly decorated and more than anything...WARM. Without having to chop logs or get the floor covered in little bits of kindling. I nearly caved and suggested we moved into town...but am going to sit on it over the winter and early spring (when you are right, the inspiration is usually in spades) and see how I feel.

I think I do know the answer - I need a city apartment for during the week and a country cottage for the weekends! Failing that I think I will just have a little vacation inside my house.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I spent an hour today juicing windfall apples and I only got about 4 pints. If I'd spent that hour at work I could have bought loads of apple juice. I also think it cost me more than the price of apple juice in the supermarket just in cost of electricity and hot water to clean up. I've also got a sore back now from all the bending down to pick up the apples and then carrying the big trugs back to the house.

I was thinking of you and wondering if it was all worth it, and then I tasted the juice.

You could never buy juice like it, and it looks very strange, clear pink liquid topped with a revolting looking grey-green foam, but wow is it delicious.

That's why we do it.

Now run yourself a nice hot bath, then curl up with a good book. Better than going to a spa any day.

Zoe

southeast-isher

I know how you're feeling Bonnie. My Ish mojo wanes alot due to me being able to afford groceries in my part-time work which makes me debate whether it's worth growing them despite homegrown tasting great... though i still love plants. Maybe i should try and get some related part-time work when i can. Take care x

Flo

bonniethomas06 wrote: I just don't want to get filthy hands, scrabble around and make things or be frugal. I think my ish is broken!!
I gave up that way of life years ago. Trouble is that the pension insists I'm reasonably frugal. And going 98% vegan has ensured that I have to do a lot of my own cooking if I want things like cakes. And then I came to the top of the allotment waiting list and have been full circle with going back to the gardening for the last six years next February. I keep meaning to hand in the keys and get a life. It won't happen this coming season anyway. This time next year might be a whole different matter. Thing is - it's a whole lot cheaper running an allotment than buying a vegetable box most years.

I reckon that ish is seasonal myself. :mrgreen:

bonniethomas06

Re: Feeling Anti-Ish UPDATE

Just felt like declaring, I think it is coming back s-l-o-w-l-y. :iconbiggrin:

Almost thought I would go out in the greenhouse and do some work at the weekend. Didn't get round to it but almost did...and have been looking back on my blog and lots of other ishers blogs for inspiration, thinking about how actually, it was very nice to have all that tasty stuff growing in the garden.

All is not lost! I recon it's those daylight hours slowly coming back...
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

oldjerry

When it becomes a chore (and EVERYONE goes through that at regular intervals) just dont do it.For me ishness is about empowerment,flogging your backside off doing something that's bringing you down is what your trying to get away from aint it?This place has had the same effect on me,No point planting much as we should be out before easter,and I'm still really imobile...little steps,a dustbin planted with spuds,Tom plants on the windowsill..it'll return,it's in your being. BW.

Millymollymandy

Goodo! I'm feeling much more positive now too. I hate November and December so am just really pleased when those months are over and now I have snowdrops out in the garden it feels like spring! (ish) :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Penny Lane

I'm also coming out of an 'ish' slump, perhaps it is the winter that wears us down?

I definitely perked up earlier when I saw daffs starting to come through and even some crocuses (croci?) nearly blooming earlier.
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

cideristhefuture
Tom Good
Tom Good

Something will 'set' you off.

We have 2 allotments still 2 dig over......but OH is in a skip geting wood for the fire as I type. It's still January. dont rush the ish, you'll get it when your ready.

Shirley

My Ish isn't broken, it's lost, or perhaps packed away in one of the boxes in my room.

I've moved back to mum's for a bit and there really isnt the option for being ish here. I am eating crappy ready meals and doing no gardening as there isn't space to do it (and the cats dig up any available ground and poo/pee/puke there) and I can't even get into the kitchen to cook proper food as my brother spends much of his time in there. He has agoraphobia/panic attacks/other problems and can't be in there when anyone else is in. Mum and he both eat the same food all the time and won't entertain anything different. He doesn't trust me to cook much because he knows that if a sprout or a tattie falls on the floor I'll wash it and chuck it in the pan, whereas he would throw it away because of germs. (I did tell him that they grew outside/in shit anyway but that wasn't good enough)

Anyway - i need to try and find somewhere else as soon as poss but whether that will happen is anyone's guess. I hope I find my ish again then.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

i allways go into hybernation in the winter. especially when its horrible weather outside.
thankfully my OH constantly has ants in his pants and doesnt like to sit in the house doing nothing for long. he allways finds odd jobs to do like chopping firewood, digging the soil, pruning, fixing things ect.
i can see once we get the animals he will be left to feed the chickens and milk the goats in the winter too while i baracade myself in the house by the fire with the kids :)
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

sleepyowl

Have been a bit off ish myself recently but the house is having a clear out of junk (either being freecycled or charity shopped) and I have set out a garden design which should fit in more with the want pretty things in the garden that my other half & landlady want as well as things that taste nice that i want. Have been seed saving so guerrilla gardening can start in earnest with added seeds yay. So thins are on the up, hopefully
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/