Self sufficientish Toilet Paper

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Self sufficientish Toilet Paper

Dock leaves!

Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Linda Cockburn, the Australian lady who wrote 'Living the Good Life' grew loofahs and used them in her composting toilet. I don't know if they'd grow in our climate or if they have a hardier relative??

southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

Maybe you could get a second hand copy of this book for a penny plus postage. The cost of one packet of loo roll...

Or it may be available to your local library...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Shit-Woods- ... 128&sr=8-1

Cligereen
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

This thread really made me laugh :iconbiggrin: It appeals to my advanced sense of toilet humour.

Now I've used some fairly industrial strength toilet paper in my time. My Grandmother insisted on using Izal Medicated Toilet Tissue, which I don't think is available any more. It was great for us to use as tracing paper as kids but as for wiping the nether regions, it was like playing Russian Roulette. Anybody who may remember this stuff will know that it has one shiny side and one matt side. It was absolutely vital to use the matt side against the rear end. Accidental use of the shiny side would result not in cleaning but 'smearing' all the way up your back, thus necessitating a quick switch to the matt side and frantic contortions to reach the smears, which could be up between your shoulder blades :oops:

Izal was used not so much to wipe as to 'scour' your bum clean. As for using a loofah :pale: ...well why not just use a cheese-grater instead? It would be similar in comfort levels! (also great cure for piles).
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Check me out on
http://hubpages.com/_3mxsltjcamvqv/hub/ ... een-Living
My website www.fallstoppers.com

Millymollymandy

I remember that stuff at school. :(
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

oldjerry

I've just decided to skip breakfast.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Cligereen wrote:This thread really made me laugh :iconbiggrin: It appeals to my advanced sense of toilet humour.

Now I've used some fairly industrial strength toilet paper in my time. My Grandmother insisted on using Izal Medicated Toilet Tissue, which I don't think is available any more. It was great for us to use as tracing paper as kids but as for wiping the nether regions, it was like playing Russian Roulette. Anybody who may remember this stuff will know that it has one shiny side and one matt side. It was absolutely vital to use the matt side against the rear end. Accidental use of the shiny side would result not in cleaning but 'smearing' all the way up your back, thus necessitating a quick switch to the matt side and frantic contortions to reach the smears, which could be up between your shoulder blades :oops:

Izal was used not so much to wipe as to 'scour' your bum clean. As for using a loofah :pale: ...well why not just use a cheese-grater instead? It would be similar in comfort levels! (also great cure for piles).
I howled out loud reading this to my OH.
I remember Izal very well, cligereen, horrible stuff. I'm afraid your Grandmother did you a great disservice though, the way to use it comfortably, and remove the inherent smear factor, was to scrunch it up and scrub it for a few seconds - softened it up a treat and no smudges. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Millymollymandy

I never had this problem :shock: as I never ever pood at school. :iconbiggrin: It wasn't much good to mop up pees though but we did do the Green Aura scrunching trick; really it was the only way. :mrgreen:

Old Jerry are you put off your lunch now too? :lol:

oldjerry

yep, who needs Big Al's diet thread ?!

Millymollymandy

:mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

No, sorry, our carbon footprint is very small, the bin is not used, we grow most of what we consume, but the butt print will remain fluffy, it's just the Brit in me.
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Didn't the Romans use a sponge on the end of a stick? Remember seeing a documentary about Hadians Wall that mentioned this.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

Perhaps they still do, not sure, I have not been.
One of the first thngs I made when we started out was a super duper waste disposal system. we are on mains sewerage, but decided to lower our inpact as much as poss. It is a thing to behold. Actualy it is out of site completly now, underground. It is quite simple is design. We had lots of help, but it is a seris of chambers about 40 mtrs away from the house (although I know a chap that has the same thing right next to the house). There are two of us here, sometimes family on holiday from tthe UK, and a washing machine. It all goes in the tank. It is mixture of blocks, rocks and mrtar. From the final tank I dug in one of those 4 inch slotted land dranage pipes and extended it 10 mtrs. It has an inspection lid, and I look once a year, nothing, I don't know how it does it, but it does.
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

Susie

Keaniebean (hope this is ok to mention Sarah!) had an interesting post on her blog about washable toilet wipes, you will see I got in there straight away with the killer question, like the Jeremy Paxman of eco toilet solutions ;-).

I remember Izal toilet roll, we had it at school and we always assumed it was because our school had absolutely no money. Then one day one of us actually saw it for sale in a shop and said it was more expensive than andrex, so I can only assume there was a vein of sadism in the toilet-roll-purchasing-department for impoverished comprehensives in the 80s-90s.
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

merlin wrote:Perhaps they still do, not sure, I have not been.
One of the first thngs I made when we started out was a super duper waste disposal system. we are on mains sewerage, but decided to lower our inpact as much as poss. It is a thing to behold. Actualy it is out of site completly now, underground. It is quite simple is design. We had lots of help, but it is a seris of chambers about 40 mtrs away from the house (although I know a chap that has the same thing right next to the house). There are two of us here, sometimes family on holiday from tthe UK, and a washing machine. It all goes in the tank. It is mixture of blocks, rocks and mrtar. From the final tank I dug in one of those 4 inch slotted land dranage pipes and extended it 10 mtrs. It has an inspection lid, and I look once a year, nothing, I don't know how it does it, but it does.

is that a septic tank you built? did you do it yourself?
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'