Favourite board games.

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Favourite board games.

I remember PIT, good game and quite like the idea of pandemic, will look it up.

Backgammon is my absolute favourite. Big fan of Scrabble too, unless playing against someone who is impossible to beat. Trival pursuit always comes out too but I'm still not that sure I really enjoy playing it. It can be painfully slow playing with some people. Risk it good and all, but I can't play it against Dave as he cheats like buggery in fact don't play any game against Dave as he cheats like buggery!
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

I spent my innocent youth playing subbuteo,most of my mates had different teams,the little plastic men invariably snapped at the knees,and as they were glued back together time after time,they became somewhat short! Iremember once playing subbuteo cricket, a rare and brill game.
I started on the slippery slope when we aquired an Escalado.....

Spanderholic
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Rummikub and Mastermind are my favs :D

Penny Lane

Helsbells wrote:I bought my hubby a pretty cool board game for Christmas last year called Go Green! It's a self-sufficiency and green living board game. I bought it at great expense from the Entertainer in Reading, it is quite marvellous!
is this it http://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Green-Board- ... 763&sr=8-1? It looks like fun!

My favourite boardgame is Scrabble, used to play it down my mum's until my son got mobile. Impossible to play Scrabble when you have a young child grabbing tiles!
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

clanpowell
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Been buying a up a few in preparation for life without tv in France. got two this week Blood Bowl Team Manager (Card game for ex Games Workshop geeks like myself, helps me feed my GW habit without the ridiculously expensive figures) and one that should appeal to ishers- Agricola You have to build a farm and keep it well rounded as you get docked points for not haveing a full compliment of animals and plants. You can also take jobs to suppliment your income, improve your farm to make it more efficient. You're not really going too head to head with your "opponents" either so it's not too aggressive either. Lots of replay value as well due to the large numbers of occupations and improvements. We like it, having played it almost every night since we got it, becoming a bit obsessed! going to buy some foamboard tomorrow so that I can organise the box better and speed up gameplay!!!

battybird

Missed this thread before. I love Othello, took ours to Portugal only to discover half the counters had got lost somewhere. Been looking for ages to get some more from charity shops but with no luck! Dont suppose anyone has some they dont want??? Also love the Viking Game and scrabble (but OH hates scrabble so dont get to play it!) Does Yahtzee count as a board game?? Probably not but its one of our favourites.
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

clanpowell wrote:We got settlers of Catan and Smallworld this xmas and they're great. Small world is a game a bit like risk set in a slightly cartoony Tolkeinesque world. Does't go on forever like risk though as it has a turn limit and no one knows who's won until the end as you keep all your victory points secret from the other players. We found that this stops players giving up as when we played with the inlaws they loved it.
We had Settlers of Catan here in my first year. It was played regularly.
Small World, however got renamed Small War and we had to ban it...No-one could decide whether the vampires could fly and multiply and after a few drinks it turned violent!!

wulf

Vampires? Aren't they Sorcerors? Could just be a different edition of the game. I got Small World about a month ago and love it.

Wulf

ps. FWIW, I think Flying Sorcerors / Vampires make any lone active token on the board a target for their nefarious power, albeit only once per player per turn.
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can't remember exactly. It was definitely something to do with the vampires (who turn the nearest pieces into vampires), and something to do with flying - so could you fly from one place to another and turn all the other pieces into vampires.

It caused a small war that almost came to blows, so we packed up the game and banned it!

clanpowell
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

the.fee.fairy wrote:Can't remember exactly. It was definitely something to do with the vampires (who turn the nearest pieces into vampires), and something to do with flying - so could you fly from one place to another and turn all the other pieces into vampires.

It caused a small war that almost came to blows, so we packed up the game and banned it!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do have to be careful in our household when you play Small World as you cannot play the game without taking out the opposition. I wouldn't dare suggest when it's not a good idea to take out Mrs Powell's halflings so.............I think I'll stop now before I annoy half the users of selfsufficientish :wink:
The sorcerers are who I think you're talking about with regards to turning the neighbours into them. Flying is a special ability that can go to any race.
I also found foam board produced using eco friendly methods and it's also fully recyclable so I feel a bit better about getting it for my ever increasing board game habbit. Does anyone else use it for anything?

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Must have been sorcerers then. I think we called them vampires because we were playing a Chinese version with no translation, so we had to look in the internet for instructions :)

I left it in the old place when I left...I couldn't risk playing it again.

sleepyowl

taboo
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/