mushrooms

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
old tree man
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

mushrooms

Got my mushrooms on the go today, we've got a lovely old pantry thats ideal for the conditions needed, mind you jane eats them like there going out of fashion :shock: then again i prefer them raw :roll: mmmmm loking forward to eating them :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

Carltonian Man

Re: mushrooms

Yum, cheddar and raw mushroom sandwiches, an old favourite

Happy New Year

Henwoman
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 3° 11' W
longitude: 48° 20' N

What are you using OTM? and where did you buy the spore please? I grew button mushrooms back in the 70s under the stairs and they were very successful, but fancy doing something different now - also I don't have an understairs cupboard, so they'd have to be in the cold area of the gym or the garage.

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

I used to buy them box kits from the DIY stores. Always were succesful though after about four crops they got a bit sparce and straggly. The place I have now has a 3/4 acre field and it was used for horses recently for a few years. I hope to find wild mushrooms late summer.
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

This one was a box kit, but i think they sold me a dud i did everything i was supposed to do and still no mushrooms................ i'm really annoyed it was my last few quid at the time :angryfire: :banghead:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

Apparently, the mushrooms that you pick in the fields are from spores that can be thousands of years old. We go out with people that have lived here all their lives, far to dodgy for me to make the decisions, but they taste great and by the time you are fed up eating them, they go out of season and something else comes in, it's the way it is. Am I rambling? right that's the last post, too much home made wine, lousy wine.......
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

Dr.Syn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

When I first moved here I went to a local mushroom farm for some spent compose with the idea of lighting the soil in the polytunnel however it was not like I expected it was like packs of horse manure with a layer of soil on top. I took these and buried them in the tunnel 3 weeks later i couldn't move for mushrooms. These were frozen and used at most meals being cooked every way possible. Great bonus. And the crops grown on them were fabulous. (Must go and get some again.)
Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.
Blog http://fredarth.wordpress.com/
Die dulci fruere.

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

old tree man wrote:This one was a box kit, but i think they sold me a dud i did everything i was supposed to do and still no mushrooms................ i'm really annoyed it was my last few quid at the time :angryfire: :banghead:
I have heard of the box kits going wrong and people tell me it's usually because the big retailers don't store them at the right temp and the spores die off and the poor customer is buying a box of compost.
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dr.Syn wrote:When I first moved here I went to a local mushroom farm for some spent compose with the idea of lighting the soil in the polytunnel however it was not like I expected it was like packs of horse manure with a layer of soil on top. I took these and buried them in the tunnel 3 weeks later i couldn't move for mushrooms. These were frozen and used at most meals being cooked every way possible. Great bonus. And the crops grown on them were fabulous. (Must go and get some again.)
At the Wallasey end of the Mersey Tunnel in England there's a roundabout and on one side every year there grows some lovely big mushrooms as big as dinner plates. THey come up every year and I think when they made the roundabout in the 70s they must have brought soil from a horse field or something. First I thought they were toadstools but I know a fella who braves the traffic to harvest them. Also as you go into the tunnel and look up there is an embankment with a stray apple tree which every years drops pounds of eating apples. Forager's paradise if you don't get run over getting mushroom or fall eighty foot into the traffic getting apples!

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

hi Bill, that's my home town your referring to . It felt really weird. I am not sure the tunnel was prettied up with roundabouts and I don't go back much anymore but it was certainly there. I have a sister who still lives in Moreton and a brother who only went as far as Chester but we other three went to Wales (south) Scotland (Granton on Spey) and me Tewkesbury. :icon_smile:
Oh and if anyone want any horse s**t locally there's stacks of it here. :icon_smile:
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi small world! The roundabout is not a proper roundabout more like a hamburger because it has no centre as the tunnel approach road runs through it. It was put in at the same time as the tunnel to take the diverted Gorsey Lane over the tunnel road and down through what was Mckenna's field. The mushrooms live on the dock side of the roundabout and the apple tree is on the Geneva Road side of the tunnel where there would have been houses once.

Chants Cottage
Tom Good
Tom Good

Henwoman wrote:What are you using OTM? and where did you buy the spore please?
I just bought some button mushroom spores from Wilkinsons. Being totally new to mushroom growing (and most other growing to be fair) I have no idea how successful this will be. I'll let you know in a month or so!!

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

I notice that shop is doing an awful lot of product range for the home grower. Seen all sorts of potatoes and onions and other stuff.

Chants Cottage
Tom Good
Tom Good

Yes, I popped in yesterday for a 'browse' and ended up with an armful of stuff including Anya potatoes and shallots. Very exciting! Absolute bargains too, which is great for a novice like me... Not sure if there's a downside to them being so cheap though? Last year I was recommended Arran Pilot potatoes from WIlkinsons. I didn't have a great deal of success but I put that down to my ignorance more than anything (at one point I was proudly harvesting the seed potatoes. Doh.) I've bought them again this year to see if they do any better - the ones that I actually allowed to grow were lovely. Just didn't get very many.

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

Haha! I was the same! I only went in to get cat biscuits seen all the growing stuff and had to stop myself mainly because I wont be in a position to plant anything this year as I haven't moved over properly yet, have loads to do to the cottage first and then think about cultivating the land! So my first planting hopefully will be early next year unless I buyer for the cottage in England this summer which I doubt. The cottage here is an end terrace with just a court yard so everything is in pots and containers. Got strawberries, raspberries, grapes, potatoes, apples and a pear tree that does nothing. Might try the button mushrooms though!