Burning-off

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
dustydave
Tom Good
Tom Good

Burning-off

What a lovely day! the first warm sun of we've had this year. I've spent the day burning-off the old grass underneath the brambles. I find if i burn the grass around the areas where the bramble is thickest the burning grass kills the brambles and spreading blackthorn. The rabbits then get in to eat the new growth which keeps the brambles back as well. I do this once a year and, this one day keeps 9-acres in check.

I've burnt about an acre of grass! I now stink - but feel good! :cheers:

Lillia
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Burning-off

Now, that's some good work done~ :iconbiggrin: It's a BEAUTIFUL day and I have the window open!

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

Nine acres? That's one big garden!
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

How do you burn the grass?
I know that might seem like a stupid question, but I keep dropping my swan vesta!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Is it legal? What's the difference between burning grass and burning stubble?

Zoe

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

A friend of mine in county Armagh had a brother who decided to clear a quarter acre of furze, bracken and grass by using a few gallons of petrol. The resulting explosion sent a mushroom cloud two hundred feet high and attracted the attention of a British Army helicopter resulting in him spending three days in custody explaining his actions! It certainly cleared the quarter acre but don't try this at home.
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

dustydave
Tom Good
Tom Good

boboff wrote:How do you burn the grass?
I know that might seem like a stupid question, but I keep dropping my swan vesta!
Not that sort of grass! :cooldude:

dustydave
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thomzo wrote:Is it legal? What's the difference between burning grass and burning stubble?

Zoe
It is legal as long as you do it before March 31st

http://www.defra.gov.uk/food-farm/land- ... r-burning/

dustydave
Tom Good
Tom Good

bill1953 wrote:A friend of mine in county Armagh had a brother who decided to clear a quarter acre of furze, bracken and grass by using a few gallons of petrol. The resulting explosion sent a mushroom cloud two hundred feet high and attracted the attention of a British Army helicopter resulting in him spending three days in custody explaining his actions! It certainly cleared the quarter acre but don't try this at home.
Great story!

Has your friend not seen the price of petrol!