Should smoking be outlawed?

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Should smoking be outlawed?

I don't mind the ban in general and i use tobacco every day though i rarely smoke, but... in pubs and restaurants i believe they should have a facility to smoke indoors.

southeast-isher

What really interests me Merlin is the fact that you used to smoke, right? And yet it is you raising this topic by starting the thread - not, a never smoker. It seems, there is no greater sinner than a sinner saved.
Last edited by southeast-isher on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

southeast-isher

Drinking alcohol... now, that should be banned...

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

I am an ex smoker so can be very intolerant of others who do still partake in the vile habit (I've seen the light - why can't they :roll: ). I agree in principle with all work places being nonsmoking but I think hospitals should provide a place for smokers. Those who are mentally ill have enough to sort out without being told to stop smoking and nicotine actually affects the metabolism of schizophrenia medications so if schizophenics stop smoking it messes up their wellbeing quite considerably.
Recently I saw a one legged man, drips and tubes everywhere, sitting in his wheelchair outside the hospital doors, in the no smoking zone, having a cigarette. He looked like he didn't have long left anyway and couldn't make it to the drafty smoking zone. I thought why not let him smoke in comfort.

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

Actually, I have never smoked, although I was once asked if I smoked after sex, but I had to admit, I’ve never looked.
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

boboff

Is that you Jim? Do you still see many of the Snoker players?
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Milims

I buy tobacco products for the good of my heath. If best beloved doesn't have a cig I end up with an pain in the ar$e! :lol:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

southeast-isher

merlin wrote:Actually, I have never smoked, although I was once asked if I smoked after sex, but I had to admit, I’ve never looked.
Ah so you like sex do you? Hmm, there's something we can tax. Be careful because you are in a glass house as a sex lover and an alcohol drinker so i wouldn't throw stones at us tobacco users. And you can take that smile off your face!
Last edited by southeast-isher on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southeast-isher

Milims wrote:I buy tobacco products for the good of my heath. If best beloved doesn't have a cig I end up with an pain in the ar$e! :lol:
Buy different tobacco products. Get him to read this recent article:

http://louisville.edu/medschool/news-ar ... aves-lives
Last edited by southeast-isher on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southeast-isher

merlin wrote:Just wondering what people think. I was reading today that 100,000 people in UK die every year from smoking related issues, and that a third of all cancers can be attributed to smoking,
I am neither one way or the other, I support euthanasia in principle anyway, so perhaps it would be a bit hypocritical for me to say people should not be allowed to kill themselves slowly. I don’t smoke, it gets in the way of my drinking, interesting though, what do you think?
I'm no psychologist by any stretch but i don't think you need to be to read smug overtones in this post... just saying like!

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life

I would not read anything into it, apart from 'what do people think', just asking :banghead:

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life

How would they tax my sex then, by fequency?

Now you can read some tones, lower tones :lol:

gregorach

Well, the only thing I smoke is already outlawed, and that's never stopped me...

A very substantial proportion of tobacco (about 1/3 of cigarettes and 2/3 of rolling tobacco) smoked in the UK is already from the black market anyway. So I reckon actually outlawing it would only accomplish 4 things: a reduction in revenues collected from duty, an increase in organised crime, the complete elimination of age restrictions on purchase, and a collapse in standards of both the finished product and the living conditions of those growing it. Much of the black-market tobacco in the UK originates in the Far East, and is frequently contaminated with all sorts of nasty stuff (lead, cadmium, arsenic, etc...), making it even more dangerous than it normally should be, and it's grown and processed by people who are frequently little better than slaves.

So - probably almost as much smoking, but much lower revenue, no effective legal controls on sales, more organised crime, and even worse health outcomes. Was that what you were hoping to achieve?
Cheers

Dunc

southeast-isher

merlin wrote:I would not read anything into it, apart from 'what do people think', just asking :banghead:
Well i would, you sounded smug about the fact you didn't smoke and that some people do and get cancer. Smug smug smug. Like that smiley photo you have for your avatar! Smug.

Millymollymandy

Whilst yours is a bit of an old git gurney bah humbug face then? :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/