should junk food be outlawed????

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

should junk food be outlawed????

or at least heavily taxed, like cigarettes and alcohol, to dicourage people from buying it.
it's incane that fruit and veg, which are in their raw state, are so expencive.
whereas junkfood, which has to be precessed in a factory thus adding cost into its production, is so cheap! :dontknow:

i think it would help society if all junk food was banned, and all they were allowed to sell in the shops is fresh, natural produce.

(junk food as in frozen meals ect. not chocolate :lol: ) ( but the chocolate shoudl be heavily taxed)
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Re: should junk food be outlawed????

No, don't outlaw stuff. Account for it instead. See my sig.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

Don't know about frozen food being banned because been a lone single male I am in the high risk of eating frozen food category but they should ban that certain burger chain that hypnotises everyone into believing they are 'loving it' when all they produce is cardboard -flavoured mush :angryfire:
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Frozen veg is fine, often more nutritious than fresh bought from a supermarket. Junk food in my book is ready meals, fast food and the like. I like to know the providence of what I eat hence I usually try and cook from scratch. However I will admit to having some oven chips and veggie sausages in the freezer, for those occasions that I haven't the time to cook a proper meal.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

ban it all
Darn that Wabbit

Ellendra

I'm inclined to agree with the Law of Hardyville on this kind of thing: http://www.backwoodshome.com/columns/wolfe031101.html

Specifically the following sections:
"Those individuals who wish to ban, tax or regulate the personal health or social habits of others will be expected to provide legal certification that they have absolutely no destructive or annoying habits of their own, of any nature. In the tradition of pure democracy, the definition of "destructive or annoying" may be determined by any two or more Hardyvillians, as long as they outnumber the person practicing the habit."

"Any Hardyville residents who want government to ban anything on the basis that "nobody needs" such and such, will be expected to submit to quarterly inspections of their possessions by the Ad Hoc (and yet to be established) Hardyville Citizens Committee, Subcommittee to Determine Personal Need. Any items the committee does not deem "needed" (to be determined solely by the committee's standards of the moment) will be surrendered. This includes, but is not limited to: sports cars, collectibles, excess cash, television sets, fancy stereos and other items not required for the basic maintenance of life. It's not really our idea of good government, but if you honestly believe everything people don't need should be confiscated or banned, we're sure we can find people to help you achieve this goal in your personal life."

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ellendra wrote:I'm inclined to agree with the Law of Hardyville on this kind of thing: http://www.backwoodshome.com/columns/wolfe031101.html

Specifically the following sections:
"Those individuals who wish to ban, tax or regulate the personal health or social habits of others will be expected to provide legal certification that they have absolutely no destructive or annoying habits of their own, of any nature. In the tradition of pure democracy, the definition of "destructive or annoying" may be determined by any two or more Hardyvillians, as long as they outnumber the person practicing the habit."

"Any Hardyville residents who want government to ban anything on the basis that "nobody needs" such and such, will be expected to submit to quarterly inspections of their possessions by the Ad Hoc (and yet to be established) Hardyville Citizens Committee, Subcommittee to Determine Personal Need. Any items the committee does not deem "needed" (to be determined solely by the committee's standards of the moment) will be surrendered. This includes, but is not limited to: sports cars, collectibles, excess cash, television sets, fancy stereos and other items not required for the basic maintenance of life. It's not really our idea of good government, but if you honestly believe everything people don't need should be confiscated or banned, we're sure we can find people to help you achieve this goal in your personal life."
Well said :lol:

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hardyville seems like my kind of place.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Paul_C
Tom Good
Tom Good

i personaly belive that the broader idea of junk food needs to be determined.
is something junk because it comes from a tin or is frozen?

is my tuna in brine unhealthy because it is packed in a can? is the frozen unadulterated vegtables i like many singletons buy to prevent waste unhelathy?? no these are not they are simply conveniance food and packings.

the broader issue is the level of adulteration of food which occurs far beyond the need for preservation. at what point is it accpetable to add chemicals to preserve or enhance food (or mask the fact it is poo) and when is it not.
at the moment due to a corporate system whiuch encourages greed and avarice and a governmental system which promotes buisiness over people the line has been shifted far and away towards doing it constantly with little knolage of the true effects of the chemicals in question. we need a governmental system which promotes people over profits, to take healthy foods which have been contaminated and return them back to how they should be.

there are things such as the humble burger, which when made properly, is a healty food source but when over processed to control the profit margin in a corporate manner becomes increasingly poor, places like Mcdonalds would have us eating our own shit if the marketing people throught they could get away with it. yet this gives the burger a very poor wrap. its minced beef, some onion, garlic, breadcrumsb, a seasonings, some egg pressed together into a form then griddled untill cooked, there to be placed intoa toasted fresh bun, with the sauces of choice and some nice fresh salad stuffs and maybe a slice of cheese.

what we are given in fast food chains is the MRMed mank from a carcass bound together with chemicals , coloured to look like meat, not the pink sludge it realy is, formed in huge machines and flash frozen, flavoured with chemicals not herbs and spices, in a bun which is less bread more some frankenstien with cheese which is designed to be fast melted, salad which is so far from natural i woiuldnt be suprised if it listened to dubstep. and sauces which provide the sole flavours as a mask for the ugle little trollop it is attmepting to flirt at the grand ball of the food experiance.

oldjerry

Ellendra is completely right,and cuts through the 'outlaw' stuff(wether ironic or,alarmingly ,genuine).
I realise that since the demise of the Cold War there has been a surge in the 'Save the Planet' bandwagon,but however welcome,this new found respect for the planet often seems to mask a total disrespect for other human beings.
I used to think 'Silent Spring' should be compulsory reading in all schools,but the Agitprop attitude of some ofthe enviromentalist movement,as recently displayed on these boards makes me think a short story in 'Serving Suggestions'(by a different Carson,Michael) entitled 'The Punishment of Luxury' might be more appropriate.

Susie

And Hard Times.

Also, I shall use this thread to confess a liking for Tunnocks Teacakes, Tiger Bread, and Fillet o'Fishes (yes that one isn't spelt right. Don't make me google), which I believe to be all entirely made from CHEMICALS!
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

oldjerry

It's funny that,I was given Hard Times to read when I was a 12yr old,by an old anarchist English teacher( he used to smoke and fart through most of the lessons,and left after an invigourating 2 yrs to work in Finland).Even then,despite the odd prob with the setting,and complete ignorance of English history,I thought it was great,and still do.

Also agree about Tunnocks products,surely the chief reason for the maintenance of GB as a single state.

gregorach

oldjerry wrote:Also agree about Tunnocks products,surely the chief reason for the maintenance of GB as a single state.
Don't worry, we're more than happy to export them. :icon_smile:
Cheers

Dunc

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

oldjerry

gregorach wrote:
oldjerry wrote:Also agree about Tunnocks products,surely the chief reason for the maintenance of GB as a single state.
Don't worry, we're more than happy to export them. :icon_smile:
You say that now, but what are the chances a couple of years down the road we hear from that old fox Salmon..'' Withdraw those troops from Syria,Iran,Las Malvinas,Holland (you choose) or we cut off supplies of any Tunnocks'''??............it wouldn't bother this lot we've got now cos public school tuckshops will have been stockpiling them for months......once again it'll be the poor that suffer.