Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

Here, for instance, is an example of the Sushil response technique from another forum. The response was to one of many similar posts suggesting that Sushil's views were way over the top ...

"Mr. Expert Opinion,

First of all you need to feel sorry for yourself.
Are you even aware of what you are writing?

Want to see some favourable comments on the article? I can show you hundreds of them.

You think you can teach others about mental illness?
First take a look at your own country - a nation with the highest per capita consumption of psychiatric drugs in the world.
"

That's reasoned discussion for you.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

Yes Mike, it's amazing what comes up when you google his name..........the internet is a wonderful medium for like minded people to meet and discuss interesting things like on this forum. Unfortunately it also opens the windows for other people who would normally be ignored by society :icon_smile:
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

See, I thought I'd start off being polite...me being a polite person. If he can't take the hint, he might find it's better for him to fk off elsewhere.

***Disclaimer...this post is made in my PERSONAL opinion, not that of the site or moderating team****

sushil_yadav
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Marc wrote:Dear Sushil,

I mainly agree with you although I haven't read it all as my time on the internet is limited because I don't have mains electricity.

I'm pretty much a 'peasant' and that's the way I prefer to be. I don't like towns or crowds of people. I believe that the world is far too over-populated and I also dislike industry as a principle. Admittedly I do use some of the products of industry, but if they weren't there I believe I could survive happily without them.

We're stuck with human greed and stupidity driving us rapidly toward the abyss.
Dear Marc,

We share similar dislikes....towns, cities & industry......I also share your pessimism.

Urbanization is a consequence of Industrialization. Environment has primarily been destroyed by Urban Population......Environment has been destroyed mainly by population that does not produce food.

This planet can only sustain a society in which [almost] the entire population is engaged in producing food......It cannot sustain a society where 50% of world population produces food for 100% of population .......and the remaining 50% is engaged in production and marketing of Consumer Goods and Services.

In Industrial Society a fraction of population produces Food for entire population......The rest of the population [which means most of the people living in Cities and Urban Areas] creates unnecessary work to keep itself occupied.....which leads to Extra destruction of environment......which makes sustainability an impossibility.

One profession means destruction of environment for one thing.......Thousands of professions means destruction of environment for thousands of things.

The list of unnecessary and destructive work in Industrial Society includes......Manufacturing and Marketing of thousands of "Consumer Goods" and Services, Tourism Industry, Entertainment Industry, Sports Industry, Military Industrial Complex, All kinds of unnecessary Research .....and lots of other work.

Out of the population that does not produce Food, the maximum number of people - a few billion people are engaged in Production and Marketing of "Consumer Goods" and Services. Industrial Activity for production of "consumer goods" and services is the biggest destroyer of environment.

Millions of people are working in Sports Industry......Environment is destroyed to manufacture millions of tonnes of Sports Equipment......Millions of Trees have been cut down and billions of acres of fertile soil has been killed with Cement & Concrete to build millions of Stadiums.

Millions of people are working in Tourism Industry......Tourism is all about Travelling which promotes Transportation Industry that destroys Environment......Millions of kilometers of Road and Rail network cutting through Forests destroying Trees and Wildlife.....Millions of kilometers of Shipping Lanes torturing and killing Fish.....Millions of kilometers of Air Routes killing the Air with millions of tonnes of exhaust gases.

Millions of people are working in Entertainment Industry........Environment has been destroyed to construct millions of Buildings that are used for entertainment and to produce millions of tonnes of Electronic Equipment that provides entertainment.

Millions of people are working for "Military Industrial Complex" producing and selling billions of tonnes of weapons all over the world...... Environment is destroyed when weapons are produced and when they are used.

Millions of City People are engaged in other unnecessary work that destroys even more environment.

We are approaching Environmental Apocalypse.......The only way to save the remaining environment is by stopping Industrial Activity for production of consumer goods and services.

sushil_yadav

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

So ... after crawling all over the net, I thought it may be worthwhile to sum up this diatribe of Sushil's ...

Given that his argument boils down to "Industrialisation causes problems" (a fact with which no-one could disagree) ...
Given that the rest of Sushil's statements boil down to a mixture of truths, half-truths, outright lies, statistical rubbish and historical fantasy ...
Given that Sushil's own admission is that he doesn't do any work other than the creation of this, his epic tome ...
And as a corollary, given that as he does no work he must (perforce by his own argument) do a lot of thinking, which he denigrates and so transfers into a kind of primitive "emotionalism" ...
Given that his appeal for a return to a hunter-gatherer society necessitates the death of millions of people ...

... what Sushil is envisaging is a tiny society of shuffling, unthinking (but emoting rather a lot) consumers of small animals and wild grasses, wandering around the earth in a semi-daze and not even having the mental capability to congratulate themselves on how they managed to turn an imperfect world into Utopia (well, a Utopia as defined by those who police this Edenistic state). There will be no innovation, because there is no thought. There will be no hoping to better the welfare of children, because that entails planning for the future. There will be no music, no art, no poetry, no creative spark of any kind. There will be nothing but this numbing idealistic existence. In short, there will be nothing human.

And Sushil will still be writing his "Guide to human perfection" - because it's a safe bet it won't be finished by then. Perhaps the latest version will contain an appeal to return to the amoeba state on the grounds that amoebas are basically happy-go-lucky creatures who do no environmental harm. Do you honestly, Sushil, deep down in your basic psyche, believe that there is any practical worth in your self-professed life work? (In accordance with everything I've seen so far, I do not expect that Sushil will deign to answer that point).

No thanks, Sushil. I've seen and read enough of your misanthropic attitudes.

Mike
Last edited by MKG on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ok so tomorrow we are all starting as hunter gatherers. Close down everything, fashion a bow and arrow and off we go. Not that all seven billion of us will be doing the hunting, we have to take into account the old, the sick, the young etc. These will stay up the tree or in the cave. So there will be about one and a half billion of us hitting the woods in the morning. By tea time the earth has lost one and a half billion animals, fish and birds. Day two ......not much left in the woods today...maybe we should start another policy .......industry and agriculture??? :study: :study: :study: :study: :banghead:
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

:lol:

One and a half million modern-day people go out to the woods with bows and arrows and bring back one and a half million successes? I'd sooner believe about a thousand successes, Bill. Don't tell me Sushil's enthusiasm has got to you?

(But I take your point).

Oh, OK - maybe 100,000 successes. It's going to be a hungry night for some. But they'll be happy. Won't they?

Mike

EDIT: - ah - you said billions, not millions. It's even worse. Catastrophe!!!!!!!

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

Don't forget Mike, while some may catch no rabbits others may catch dozens and there is bound to be some capitalist/industrial who is not playing the game and has retained an AK 47 or worse, a minigun mounted in an apache helicopter and who brings home a whole migrating herd of zebra and wildebeest to his wife and child :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah - so you're saying that it's a possibility that someone may have the bright idea of cornering the market, so to speak? You may have a point there, Bill. I'll have to spend a few days thinking about that one before I can fit it in to my "This is the way the world works" philosophy. Of course, if that someone was thee and me, we'd be doing it with everyone's best interests at heart, wouldn't we?

Mike

EDIT: Hey - we could make hats from rabbit skins and sell them to people who can't catch rabbits. If we catch enough rabbits, we may never have to sow a seed ever again.

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

If that's Communism, I'M Boboff, and I DO get the £5.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, there you go, OJ. Look, you can get in on this - we CALL it communism, but really we're creaming it off. We SAY that we're after the greatest good for the greatest number (that's for the proles), but we know what we really mean. OK - you can have your fiver if you take some of your big lads down to the Preseli Hills in Wales and sort of take over those quarries - I've heard on the grapevine that there's some pretty hard stone there which might come in useful in a year or two.

Mike

EDIT: You'll notice that Boboff is extraordinarily quiet (wink, wink).

oldjerry

Don't Knock it!!

Anyhow I think you've comprehensively shot Sushil's pterodactyl...

In all truth that sort of stuff gives honest Utopianism a bad name.

boboff

oldjerry wrote:If that's Communism, I'M Boboff, and I DO get the £5.

What! Then who am I then?

I only came in here to see who Mike was having a go at, and it appears some nice chap from India who doesn't believe in the division of labour, a truly communist ideal, and belives in the use of at least 5 full stops when one will do, presumably to provoke the reader to consider his wise words.

This seems pointless when we have a perfectly good smilie for such circumstances, it's even called "study"

:study:

Although his ideas may seem a little odd, to those of use whithout the use of Opiates as a relaxant, he is very polite, called people "Mr" etc, which is nice.

I am off to visit my friends on the nice VW camper forum now. :argue: ! NOT
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

oldjerry

I bloody KNEW it was you.!

boboff

What playing the second account thing?

Nope, not me, my IBS keeps me busy that the minute.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/