First life of 2012 - What are you sowing?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: First life of 2012 - What are you sowing?

plant loads of seeds brussels, kale, runner beans, in green house today
and carrots, beetroot and parsnips out side under plastic
tomatoes in doors are just showing there heads
Darn that Wabbit

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

I planted my seeds yesterday. Mainly the ones I have had in the fridge for the winter. I wish I had labelled them!

I did sow a couple of types of lettuce, 4 types of toms, lavender, chillis, peppers, courgettes, climbing french beans, sweet cissily, perenial sweet peas, wild thyme, strawberries, 3 types of basil and Jersey Giant Asparaguss. I also tried a tray with Poppies and milk vetch which I collected last year.

I just hope some of them germinate!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

chadspad

Those that have sown toms & chillis already, are they to go in the greenhouse or for outside? Im thinking of starting the above on windowsills to put outside earlier than normal (usually start seeds off April) but will the seedlings just be leggy from lack of light this time of year? Im just gagging to get started!
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

All my tomatoes are destined for greenhouses, I never grow any outside.
That's the downside of living here, no summer to speak of and lots of blight about.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

boboff

Indeed, I shall nurture for months then see them go all leggy form a few small fruit that will stay green until October!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

chuck_n_grace
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi,
We've decided to only grow those things that can be added to a salad immediately. We're not going to worry about 'canning' or 'drying' any veggies. So, we're talking lettuce, spinach, onions, cucumbers, carrots, roma and yellow pear tomatoes. Through succession planting we would like to have delicious salads from late May to October.

Of course I love to experiment. So, we're working on a few ideas for this year.

Regards,
Chuck

PossibleBoris
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Onions and garlic are up, overwintered leeks are coming on a treat, parnsips and spring onions in yesterday. The rest of the plot is covered with clear plastic, which will hopefully warm the soil up and force weeds up, ready for sowing directly in April - I'm planning on celery, celeriac, borlotti beans, chard, spinach, beetroot and plenty of salad leaves.

Indoors - cauliflower and sprouts are motoring along, tomatoes and herbs are just starting to emerge.

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

The toms that are now seedlings, a decent size too, are for indoors. I've just planted San Marzano variety - they'll be moved outside.

Also planted lots of snowball turnips (I grow them for the leaves rather than the turnips though - stir-fried with some pesto *nom*) and some basil.

I've got some other stuff I could do with going outside to sow.

kyj
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

All this talk of sewing makes me realise I need to think about next season's seeds soon. Tomorrow I'll be sewing mizuna which is the last thing I'm planning for this year....( until spring, I'm in the Southern hemisphere). Still, we're currently in full harvest season so I can't complain too much.

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

we're really late in sewing/planting as were caught up in building our house at the moment!

but so far we've transplanted outside cherry tomatoes, courgettes and strawberries.
we've sewn into the ground onions, garlic and spinach.
and in seed trays and pots we've got celery, yellow courgettes, ginger, peppers, plum tomatoes, aubergines, leeks, lettuces, peppermint, thyme, oregano, basil, dill, parsley, coriander and chives.

plus i spent yesterday sewing loads of ornamental flower seeds to make the garden all nice and pretty and encourage lots of pollinating bees and insects! :iconbiggrin:

still need to do some more seed trays of asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, strawberries and blackcurrants.

and still to be sewn directly into the ground we have potatoes, peas, sweetcorn, french beans, mangetout beans, rhubarb, fennel, mini corn, kidney beans, white beans ( unknown variety ) and lentils ( but the lentils not till later on ) .

its a lot of work.

and just now all the fruit trees are blooming very prettily :flower:

edit: how could i forget! we've also got sweet potatoes sprouting in jars of water!
Last edited by demi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

now put in peas runners
cumbers and courgettets
Darn that Wabbit

julie_lanteri
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

so far I've got
some flowers: marigolds, calendula, sweet peas, cosmos, mix for bees/butterflies,
onions: mix results so might sow some more if it's not too late,
chives
garlic chives nothing yet...
parsley flat and curly,
artichokes
anya potatoes chitted but I don't know where to plant them yet

I'm going to visit my family next week. I'm planning to work with my little niece (2,5yo) to sow sunflowers and beans. We'll probably get the toms and courgettes going too.