Daylight and hen laying

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
President Bartlet
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Daylight and hen laying

Is it true that chickens that are over a year old need 14 hours daylight to resume laying or is it less?

We're not early risers, so ours get let out at 7.30, but it's clearly light at six, we have a window in the coop that is blocked for warmth in the winter, but I'm wondering if we unblocked it and the hens were getting light would this help or does it have to be full daylight ?

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Re: Daylight and hen laying

Hi - yes it is true that chickens lay better during the longer days. When mine were in the garden shed, I had an electric light in there on a timer which did help.

Chickens are pretty good at keeping themselves warm (they carry their own feather duvet around with them) as long as they can keep dry and out of draughts, so you're probably safe in unblocking their window.

Zoe

Henwoman
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 3° 11' W
longitude: 48° 20' N

I rarely let my chickens out before 09.00am as I can't seem to get out of bed early enough at the moment. When the summer gets going so do I. However, my hens are laying reasonably well in spite of them going to bed at 19.00hrs, so only getting ten hours. With regard to uncovering the window, as I understand it, the light has to be bright enough to be able to read to be any help for laying. Not that I'm suggesting your chickens will get eyestrain reading a Booker Prize Winner, lol, it's just a level which is easy to gauge.

Bulworthyproject
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

One answer is to fox proof even a small area around the chicken house and leave the door of the house open. Then the hens can get out into the light without you having to let them out. Ours are always out and about when we go to feed them in the morning
https://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk

Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working

Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy