Will Bovril Kill Me?

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Will Bovril Kill Me?

The bowl cancer is totally their typo.

Edit: AND latest findings with regards to angina etc are due to a swelling of the arteries, not a clogging. The poor cholesterol is just there trying to block up the holes to stop nasty small cholesterol and what-have-you getting through the walls of the arteries.

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Acute Angina, my wife has.....

Sorry.

What I heard on the new was that it was something like 18% more deaths from people who ate Red meat daily, and 30% more deaths from people who ate Processed Meat daily. The deaths mentioned with Heart disease and Stroke I think. Plus it was a massive study, something like 65,000 people over 20 years in America.

It struck me that, with most studies, you get the headline numbers but not the details or the intelligence of interpretation.

Common sence of a little of what you fancy does no harm, seems not to apply in the modern world.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

boboff wrote:Acute Angina, my wife has.....

Sorry.

What I heard on the new was that it was something like 18% more deaths from people who ate Red meat daily, and 30% more deaths from people who ate Processed Meat daily. The deaths mentioned with Heart disease and Stroke I think. Plus it was a massive study, something like 65,000 people over 20 years in America.

It struck me that, with most studies, you get the headline numbers but not the details or the intelligence of interpretation.

Common sence of a little of what you fancy does no harm, seems not to apply in the modern world.
Quite agree with you Boboff and have had this train of thought since reading years ago about a lady in Dublin leaving a health food shop with laden bags and having travelled not more than a few yards being fatally injured by a bus. :(
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

Millymollymandy

You can't win, I was just reading something last week telling me that red meat IS good for us, because of all the iron in it or something. :dontknow:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Kitty2Sheds
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Oooooh I hate ironin' - just going to open a nice bottle of Rouge to wash down the grilled Fillet.....

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Everything in moderation never did harm is my motto, is like that debate over butter v marg, would rather have something natural than not personally :roll:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

Hernaic Tom
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 51 N
longitude: 1 E

It's one of those "Scary statistics" that, when boiled down to its actual figures, is not so scary.

Headlines say things like "Daily Pork increases risk of bowel cancer by 20%"

20% seems like a lot, but if the risk to an average person of getting bowel cancer is 5% to begin with, an increase of 20% means that the risk of contracting bowel cancer is still only 6% if you eat pork every day (for example).

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

yes the media exadurate and twist things to sell papers.
however, meat IS carcinogenous and plants ARE cancer inhibitors.
so taken from that just dont eat too much meat and eat loads of fruit and veg. and the more natural your food is the better it is for you, ie free from pestacides and preservatives ect.
if you want to be a health freak, be vegeterian. or for the aminal welfare side of things. basically the less meat we eat will reduce our 'chances' of cancer. there are no garentees, and you could get hit by a bus.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'