Good Energy

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
Hernaic Tom
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 51 N
longitude: 1 E

Good Energy

Hello all!!

I've been away from the forum for a while as I've been busy with work, but I'm back for the time being! Hello! :icon_smile:

Earlier this year I switched my energy supplier from E.On to Good energy, "Britain's only 100% renewable energy supplier". The last of my dealings with the customer services at E.On only served to confirm to me that I was doing a sensible thing.

Good Energy are naturally keen on spreading renewable energy as far as possible. As a result, anyone who quotes the account number of a current customer when signing up gets £25 off their first bill. The customer who gives the recommendation also gets £25 off their bill. There is currently no limit to the number of times you can get £25 off your bill!!!

If that's not sufficient incentive, all my interactions with their staff so far have been efficient and friendly, and you can significantly cut your annual household carbon emissions!!

So... If anyone here (or anyone you know) is considering switching to Good Energy, and would like to use my account number to get £25 off their first bill, let me know!

I don't work for Good Energy by the way, I just think it is a quick and easy action that can help to reduce our negative impact on the environment!

Even if you don't want my account number, I'd certainly like to hear about your experience of Renewable energy suppliers. I like to read about the good things people do for the biosphere!

Tom :iconbiggrin:

gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Good Energy

I'm with Good Energy too, have been for a few years. Very pleased with them.
Cheers

Dunc

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have been with Ecotricity for a couple of years now and am very happy with the service they provide. I have a dual fuel contract as they are supplying and investing in bio gas from anaeobic digesters.
I occasionally get people calling from the big six to say that they can lower my energy bills but the savings are fairly minimal. Especially as I now have sinificantly reduced my energy consumption. A chap from EDF actually said to me that they were the greenest provider as all their electricity comes from nuclear?
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

Are they more/less expensive?

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ecotricity promise to match the price of your regional provider. As prices between the big six keep changing, seemingly taking it turns to be the cheapest, I would say there are cheaper providers out there. However I don't mind paying a little over the odds for my ethical integrity.

The Riff-Raff Element

Hummfff! We get a choice of EDF, EDF or EDF.

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

The Riff-Raff Element wrote:Hummfff! We get a choice of EDF, EDF or EDF.
Or solar panels and tell EDF where to go.

The Riff-Raff Element

baldybloke wrote:
The Riff-Raff Element wrote:Hummfff! We get a choice of EDF, EDF or EDF.
Or solar panels and tell EDF where to go.
Except that the current regulations here require that if a house that is "on-grid" is fitted with PV cells then the output must be sold to EDF and your requirements bought back from them, albeit at a very healthy price differential for the householder. Getting taken off the public grid is nigh on impossible: the kit belongs to EDF right up to the fuse box, and if the house is habitable they are very loath indeed to remove it. :banghead:

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mental note to self not to move to France. England might not be perfect but we still have some choice.

dave45

I've been with them for years. However I started looking into things when I asked myself why a 100% renewable energy company hiked its prices when gas prices shot up a few years ago. I got a very unsatisfactory answer from their helpdesk. They told me they had to pay their suppliers the "market rate".... yet they are largely their own suppliers... they own Delabole windfarm for instance.

They are very coy about how they work with their ROC surpluses. I suspect that they are in effect being hugely and stealthily subsidised by non-GE customers having to stump up the RO subsidy on their bills, and it getting transferred via the RO mechanism to GE - i.e. they may just be cynical subsidy farmers... You won't find any of this in their accounts or little PR-spin magazines.

Interested to hear what others think on this.

Hernaic Tom
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 51 N
longitude: 1 E

dave45 wrote:They are very coy about how they work with their ROC surpluses. I suspect that they are in effect being hugely and stealthily subsidised by non-GE customers having to stump up the RO subsidy on their bills, and it getting transferred via the RO mechanism to GE - i.e. they may just be cynical subsidy farmers... You won't find any of this in their accounts or little PR-spin magazines.

Interested to hear what others think on this.
I've read in a number of places that they retire their surplus ROCs, as it forces other energy companies to increase the percentage of energy generated from renewable sources, thus driving the whole market towards renewable energy.