Oh do stop moaning

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

Re: Oh do stop moaning

gregorach wrote:I always thought that referred to an inability to complain to anyone who actually matters... You know, that thing where people tell the waiter that everything's fine and the food is lovely, and then spend the rest of the evening moaning privately about how awful it was? My grandmother's terrible for that.
Exactly how I've always thought of things back in the UK, at least in the past. The 'mustn't make a fuss' mentality.

It may be just my impression from afar, but it does seem to me that the people of the UK are becoming more openly vociferous in their complaining.

Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

Come to NZ, I find every day is uplifting and optimistic here ...I really hate moaners, it makes me uncomfortable and I feel sad.
My husband is like Victor Mildew and as he gets older he gets worse, good job we don't see much of each other lol.
I will wear a bangle to remind me not to moan but as a rule I do not, I try to remain happy even if it's just a front/mask until I do actually feel that way.

mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I complain, and I enjoy it! I do feel shame and embarrassment, but I'd rather state my case than have bad... things.
In balance I also write letters of thanks, tip well if warranted and let higher staff members know when their subordinates have done well.

so, recently...
complaint :bottom half of english muffin in frankie and benny's was quite obviously burnt and being hidden by the top one, so I complained. waitress obliged, I got a non burnt muffin and therefore she got a better tip.
commendation: I was given exemplary service by one of the dairy staff at my local sainsbury's, he told me lactofree cream would be in the next day so I went down again only to find it'd not come in, he not only called their distribution centre to find out when it was coming in, he also took me to the customer service and got them to give me a voucher to cover my travel costs for the wasted journey! I not only spoke to his manager, I also wrote to head office.
complaint: I opened a carton on UHT lactofree to find it full of curds and stinking. I called their customer service and not only got an appology letter, but also £5 in vouchers.
commendation: woman in debenhams helped immensely with bra measuring and ordering. I am a very odd size, and she went above and beyond to find me one to fit! have written to her manager to tell them she's awesome.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Mrs F, I think your post is a prime example of the difference between constructive complaining, as you've described, and moaning which would be not to say anything at the time but to walk away muttering "what rubbish, I'm never going there again!" and saying same to anybody you meet.

Zoe