Caffeine withdrawal symptoms

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Caffeine withdrawal symptoms

I've stopped drinking 'normal' tea and have switched to de-caff. I'd heard that there can be withdrawal symptoms, but I never expected the headaches to be so terrible. Is this normal and how long does it last???

I still have a coffee at 11am every day, and this makes the pain disappear completely, so I know its the lack of caffeine causing them. Painkillers don't touch the pain at all.

I am going to start on de-caff coffee, but only when I'm on top of the headaches. Anyone else found this??

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Caffeine withdrawal symptoms

Yes, and I did it on purpose !! :iconbiggrin:

I didn't know about it and when I heard some "doctor" on the radio saying to cut down your coffee intake slowly instead of abruptly because you will suffer headaches, I thought "what a load of old tosh".
So I gave it up for a day and in the late afternoon got one almighty headache, so I admitted defeat and begrudgingly admitted this doctor knew what she was talking about. :lol:

Haven't tried it again since, so I'm afraid I can't tell you how long they last .. sorry.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I remember reading somewhere that the headaches are caused by dehydration so increase your water intake as you decrease your caffeine intake slowly as Odsox suggests.

Zoe

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

Does the same happen if you drink a lot of tea and stop that? I think I have experienced that but didn't know if it was just all in my head or if perhaps something else was causing headaches and I was attributing it to my lack of tea by mistake

gregorach

Yeah, headaches are a classic sign of caffeine withdrawal. It's actually a much more powerful drug than most people realise.
Cheers

Dunc

Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Going to stick it out, am weaning the whole house of caffeine, going to be a happy few weeks, everyone moaning about their heads hurting and generally feeling knackered!! Will let you all know when the pain stops!!

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

im glad i dont drink coffee!
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

bonniethomas06

Wow, that's frightening isn't it? I haven't tried to give up, so can't help but am shocked at the severity of the symptoms. I drink loads of tea - about 8 cups a day, and at least two of strong black coffee. Scary to think I have done this every day since I was about 18. But I reason that it is better than drinking 6 cans of diet coke a day, which I stupidly did from about age 16-28.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

bonniethomas06 wrote:Wow, that's frightening isn't it? I haven't tried to give up, so can't help but am shocked at the severity of the symptoms. I drink loads of tea - about 8 cups a day, and at least two of strong black coffee. Scary to think I have done this every day since I was about 18. But I reason that it is better than drinking 6 cans of diet coke a day, which I stupidly did from about age 16-28.

i used to drink loads of diet coke too, but now i just drink mineral water ( as the water in the taps here's a bit iffy ) and i re-cycle the bottles.

iv never been a coffee drinker and i only have the occasional cup of tea, much less than 1 a week. although i drink more if im trying to loose weight. :lol:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

I tried decaffeinated coffee when it became popular in the 80s and it triggered a god-awful migraine. I put it down to caffeine withdrawal but my GP said that certain decafs are made using solvents to remove the caffeine and I could be allergic to these chemicals rather than suffering from withdrawal.

Now most decaf are made using a water extraction method but at one time even formaldehyde was used to extract the caffeine!! I think some cheaper decafs are still made by chemical extraction so it might be worthwhile checking the ingredients of your decaf.

southeast-isher

I'm absolutely hooked on caffeine :-s

seasidegirl
Living the good life
Living the good life

I had this problem (headaches) years ago when I was addicted to coffee and tried to give up. Worst thing was I was having sugar in every cup (lots). I got round it by mixing de-caff into my normal jar and increasing it a couple of times until I was over to de-caff with no problem. You can buy half caff now but I think its prob more expensive than just combing two jars. It's very annoying that decaff is dearer than caff!

It worked but I'm now drinking tea all day instead which is probably just as bad (if it is?). No idea but I'm not worried so much because I enjoy it without sugar. I wish I could convert to herbal teas but tried several and can't stand them.

Penny Lane

I also have terrible headaches when I cut out caffeine. I need to decrease my intake so I'm going to start drinking more naturally caffeine free rooibos, I drink it in the evenings anyway as caffeine after 6pm keeps me awake all night!
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

gave up coffee for a month once the headaches while realy bad for 3 days was drink about 8 cups a day then
now drink coffee but only 1 or 2 cups a week
stick manly to herb teas
not had a coffee for 6 weeks now after become dairy introlant with no head aches at all
do like my coffee with milk :O(
Darn that Wabbit

southeast-isher

seasidegirl wrote:It worked but I'm now drinking tea all day instead which is probably just as bad (if it is?).
I don't think tea is as bad for you. Doesn't the theanine in it calm the mind and promote alpha-waves or something?! Anyway, if it's working for you then it's good :-)