2 Stroke Problems

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

2 Stroke Problems

HELP

I am so very fed up.

Every job I go to do I am thwarted by bloody two stroke machinery.

I have bought a pertol strimmer last year for £170, I have 4 chain saws, and I can't get any of them to go, I have 3 second hand strimmers which none of which want to run ( even had one serviced for £60, it ran for an hour and now only runs for 30 seconds before stopping) I have bought new spark plugs, cleaned them, got the mix right on the petrol, but I just can't seem to get anything for less than £200 which works.

I even bought a £80 electric chain saw and it is plastic and rubbish and won't tighten the chain, although I am sending that back.

I am going to try and return the strimmer as well but last time they didn't come and collect it, and as it was winter I let it go.

I HATE TWO STROKE MACHINES!!!!!!

I have a 4 stroke 2nd hand mower and it starts first pull every time!!!!

Now I know I try and do things on the cheap, but you could spend £1000 on a new Strimmer and Chain saw, which is the polly tunnel I can't afford!

Anyone got any tips please? I am not mechanically minded but I am not stupid, and don't understand why I have so many issues with these things!

GRRRRRRR!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: 2 Stroke Problems

I shall watch this thread with interest boboff - we've had exactly the same problem with at least two strimmers, which currently reside in the shed, unusable.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Possibly the problem might be down to the increased percentage of biofuel in petrol these days. It seems to go off quicker especially in the carburettor. Apparently it only has a shelf life of a couple of weeks. I would suggest draining the float bowl and checking the jets are clear. Then try some fresh petrol.
On the ignition side of things, take the plug out, connect to the HT cap, hold the electrode to a metal part of the engine whilst trying to start it to see if you have a healthy spark. If you haven't, work your way back. First try another plug, then another plug cap or hold the bare HT lead to the engine case. Check the points or leads on the ignition unit. Also ensure the earth lead has a good connection, clean back to bare metal, reconnect and smear over with Vaseline.
As long as you have a spark and fuel getting through, it should fire. The only other thing it could be is the ignition timing, but as its a problem common to several appliances, I doubt if its this.
My best guess would be duff petrol, blocked jets or a dodgy earth. Good luck.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

boboff

Thank you.
I have tried new petrol, not sure where the jets or earth are........
I might have to go on a cource I think!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can thoroughly recommend the electric chainsaw they sell in Lidl from time to time. I have two petrol chainsaws but my father-in-law persuaded me to buy this electric one even though I well remember the crap B&D toy chainsaw I bought once. But it works so well that the petrol ones are now just about redundant, it's only if I want to saw further away than I have extension leads for that one gets an outing.
Also, I broke the chain tensioner on the Lidl's one, I emailed their service centre in the UK and they sent me a new part without requiring any receipt, guarantee or anything from me.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

boboff wrote:Thank you.
I have tried new petrol, not sure where the jets or earth are........
I might have to go on a cource I think!
I know blokes don't normally do this, but if all else fails, consult the manual.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

The Riff-Raff Element

Well, I hate 2-stroke too. The only two stroke appliance I now own is a good-quality strimmer that I got second hand for a absolute song from a Brit who was selling up and heading back to Blighty. That at least works. Everything else was a waste of money, but I did buy cheap, 'cos that was all I could afford.

Everything else I now use is either 4-stroke or electric. I bought a Husqvarna electric chainsaw a few years back that cost €250 - bloody expensive for an electric chainsaw, but cheap for the brand. I have never looked back. I am now saving against the day when my rotavator dies and that will be replaced with Husqvarna. I am a convert. :dontknow:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Riff-Raff Element wrote:. I am now saving against the day when my rotavator dies and that will be replaced with Husqvarna. I am a convert. :dontknow:
Sell your rotavator my son and go with a chook tractor :mrgreen: (they're not two stroke at least...)

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

must read properly...I know Husqvarna as a sewing machine make...and i thought you were going to replace your rotavator with a sewing machine...

boboff

Manuals...Hmmm Interesting idea, can't see it catching on!

Good thoughts on 4 stroke and electric though, it's the blade tensioner on the one I have that doesn't work.